Advice please

Awilso
Awilso Posts: 6
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

i have just got my voucher through for the cycle scheme from work and im thinking of getting the genesis core 20, however i have just noticed that the fork does not have lockout.

i will be using the bike for off roading and on the road to actually ride to work. how much does lockout matter? my ride to work is alot of up and down but no major hills or anything.

will it make alot of difference?

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Definately, I dont have it on my bike but my brother does and the difference is substantial, but certainly not the end of the world not having it.

If there an air fork you could run the fork with more pressure to firm it up through the week and set it lower for your off road riding on a weekend/after work it only takes a minute !
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Awilso wrote:
    how much does lockout matter?
    If you're a redline-relax-redline-relax kind of rider it's probably a significant feature but the only time I use it is when I'm checking the headset.
  • Hi Awilso , Ref Lockout if your on the roads and climbing on long climbs then its nice to have a lockout, but its not required its just there if your really going to go for it on a long climb which i use a lot, as you put power into the pedals its stopping the bounce in the forks and the power is then transfered into the whole bike giving it speed on the climbs, short climbs you would`nt really need it .. hope this helps .. :wink:
  • Awilso
    Awilso Posts: 6
    Thanks for that, one other thing has anyone ever used a lockout kit or anything like that? iv kinda read about them on forums but there is never much information about them.

is anyone has anywhere i can get more information about them or the sort of cost that would be helpful. as if the option is there is could always do that without forking out for new forks if i find i will need it
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Awilso wrote:
    Thanks for that, one other thing has anyone ever used a lockout kit or anything like that? iv kinda read about them on forums but there is never much information about them.
    It's not a 'kit' or anything. Lockout is just a feature that is included on many forks that lets you lock them and stop them moving. Many people prefer riding on the roads or smooth trails with their forks or rear shocks locked out as it cuts down bouncing and improves efficiency.

Core 20 has Tora 289 fork. Doesn't seem to have a lockout: http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/trail/tora/#tab3

Personally I only ever lockout my forks and rear shock on the roads.........and I never really ride my mtb on the roads.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    I ride to work on my Rockhopper, 10 miles each way, 3 or 4 times a week, and I don't use the lockout. I tried once and it didn't seem to make much difference on the uphills but did make the bumpy bits much less comfortable (the first/last mile of my journey to/from work has an absolutely shocking road surface & the suspension is very welcome, don't know how roadies manage it...).

I do have the tyres a bit firmer (about 50psi) when on road which gives less rolling resistance & TBH I found that made a much bigger difference than using the lockout did.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have lockout on my marzocchi 55s, and pro-pedal on my DHX shock. I tried them a few times on big smooth climbs, decided it made little or no difference, and never touched it again.
    Same goes for fork travel adjust, really. In fact, I wish I'd gone for the coil sprung marzocchi 55 ETAs, instead of ATAs, as they were cheaper, and less likely of exploding :roll:
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531
    I wouldn't worry bout havin no lockout on your fork dude.
    Lockout is mainly used off road for climbs to stop energy being wasted by the bobbing/movement of the forks as you pedal,as some of the other lads have stated, so i don't think it will make much of a noticeable difference on the road.
    Scott
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Did wonder myself about not having lockout on the front (though my rear does have a kind of lockout).

However, I'm terribly out of shape when it comes to hill climbs, so it doesn't really matter as I'll end up getting off and walking :D.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Pedal bob is a lot less of a problem on the front than at the back. If I'm on the road I'll always flick my pro pedal on to almost lock out the rear, but often just leave the forks alone. Fork lockout is more useful if you want to get out of the saddle and sprint really hard.

There's enough potholes in the roads to make suspension quite useful anyway :lol: