Sportiff on a cross bike?

I have been riding a Kona Jake Cross bike since January, mainly on Berkshire/Hampshire lanes. I have 28cc road tyres but no other modificaitons. Average speed has gone from 15mph in Jan to 18mph now (on typical 15 - 30 mile rides). Should I make any changes to ride a 65 mile sportiff, would 25cc or 23cc tyres make much difference? What is a good speed to work towards for a typical ride?

I dont want to spend too much becuase a road bike beckons for Xmas (bike scheme permittting!)

Thanks!

Comments

• FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    go for really high zoot 25c or 23c tires like Conti 4000s or Mich PR3s. They'll make tons of difference.

The only issue with the 23c size is it *might* me a little narrow for the wider rims on your CX bike - meaning they might not provide enuf protection to the rim sidewalls and you'll bottom out

Of course this is a functon of a) your weight, b) the tire pressure you run, c) roads you ride on.

You could ruc 25 rear and 23 front for a good fast set up. Parker's has PR3s for £24 which is great.

In terms of times - shoot for 30 km/h on the flats and 15 km/h up the hills and go from there. But very generally just try to improve your average speeds, fitness, eating strategy, drinking strategy, effort budgeting, and finally sorting out what kit to take vs what to leave in the car and that's what sportif experience is all about.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • levad
    levad Posts: 8
    I rode the Wantage Sportive last Sunday. I have a Surly Crosscheck and changed the tyres from 28's down to 25's on Saturday. I "believe" it made a difference, especially on the hills. Get the correct pressures for you and your bike weight and make sure you have inner tubes that fit. I averaged 25kph over 140k
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I did this years HIghclere on my CX with 23c road tyres and came 3rd in my cat :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.