How come Kloden is allowed to ride ??

MarkMcp
MarkMcp Posts: 426
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Been a bit out of the loop. When I read this http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php ... port_may09 in May I thought well thats Kloden busted for good, but now I see he's still on the Astana team. Did nothing come of this report ?? If not someone should follow him on the rest days :wink:

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    My thoughts exactly but it seems having proof that he visited the University of Freiburg mid-way through the Tour is not proof of doping. It's highly suspicious though, I doubt he was there to attend a lecture on art history after all.

Perhaps someone can confirm this but I gather Klödi is not doing media interviews and refuses to talk about the matter?

Perhaps Werner Franke will nail him one day. In the meantime ASO used to reject riders under suspicion, see how they blocked the Puerto riders or Di Luca, so it's odd he is here. Also, what are the UCI doing?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    The evidence that implicates him with visiting Freiburg came from Patrick Sinkewitz. As we all know he can't be trusted. The combined might of Sideshow Bob Stapleton and Dave_1 repeatedly tell us this. :wink:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Kléber wrote:
    My thoughts exactly but it seems having proof that he visited the University of Freiburg mid-waythrough the Tour is not proof of doping. It's highly suspicious though, I doubt he was there to attend a lecture on art history after all.
    Perhaps someone can confirm this but I gather Klödi is not doing media interviews and refuses to talk about the matter?
    Perhaps Werner Franke will nail him one day. In the meantime ASO used to reject riders under suspicion, see how they blocked the Puerto riders or Di Luca, so it's odd he is here. Also, what are the UCI doing?
    ASO no longer reject riders under suspicion because Patrice Clerc and his right-hand man, Gilbert Ysern, were both dismissed, and replaced by an Amaury family member more concerned with business. See my post in the ‘Lance Apologises’ thread.

As for Kloeden and the media, during the Tour of Switzerland, Kloeden gave an interview to the Swiss press about the forthcoming TdF, which also appeared in the German press, but since the Sinkewitz claim about a trio’s visit to Freiburg re-surfaced (it was first public months ago except I don’t think the names of the two other riders were then public, just known to UCI from the interview Sinkewitz gave to them in 2008), Kloeden has refused to speak to the German press completely and said no more than the odd word to other journalists.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    A rider is suspended by his team (or ASO) when he is under investigation for doping. Klöden is not. The investigation that mentioned him in its report was into the Freiburg clinic doctors working with T-Mobile and was done by the clinic itself, not a sports federation or ADA. So, we know he went to Freiburg but since the investigation was on somebody else by an authority not recognized by the UCI, no temporary suspension. Until now, the German fed doesn't seem to have opened any kind of proceedings, so he's clear to race.