Steel v Aluminum v Carbon v Titanium Frames...

13»

Comments

• colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Titanium when pure is a lustrous white metal low density good strength is easily fabricated and has excellent corrosion resistance . It is ductile [ plyable ] after the oxygen is burned off in nitrogen also is just as an important as an alloying agent with Aluminium . Manganese , Molybndenum ,Iron and other Metals also titanium is strong as steel but 45 percent lighter and 60 percent heavier than Aluminium yet twice as strong .
    Also used plenty in shipbuilding due to it's strong resistance to corrossion from salt water ..

And as for Carbon it is reinforced polymer reinforced plastic CRFP or CRP it is strong light and a very expensive comopsite material similar to fiberglass . It has many applications in the field of aerospace and the automotive industry and in Ship building where it's high strengh to weight ratio is of high importance .

And as for steel it is an Alloy mainly of Iron with a carbon content depending on grade carbon is the most effective alloying material for Iron though other material are also used ie tungsten , managnese and chromium and vandium .. It has to be said
    Carbon and other gents act as a hardening agent preventing dislocations [ breakages ] Also steel with less carbon can be made stronger and harder and less ductile [ plyable ] .................
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Copy and paste time eh?!

;-)
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    aero engineering degree and a tendency to remember random facts about bike manufacture for me...
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    aero engineering degree and a tendency to remember random facts about bike manufacture for me...

not you. ;)
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I ace you with a Materials Engineering degree from Swansea Uni (who are good at it) 8) :lol:
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    A very interesting thread. Who would have thought that in interest in "pushbikes" would lead to a discusssion on material science!

It's nice to see a mountain bike related topic that has a good degree of actual science involved instead of the usual marketing BS (I'm looking at you suspension design!)

Anyway here is a link to the best article I've read on the subject.
    http://www.63xc.com/scotn/metal.htm
    Reasonably technical but not requiring a degree in Materials Engineering
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    supersonic wrote:
    Copy and paste time eh?!

;-)

Am sure with your wisdom you would know the difference between copy and paste and genuine typing of information
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    I ace you with a Materials Engineering degree from Swansea Uni (who are good at it) 8) :lol:
    swansea uni.... so basicaly your degree means nothing, becouse you actually spent all your time at uni at either caswell, langland, or llangenith.... or when it was flat, clyne, kilvey, or afan, or when it was dark wine street... or....or....or....
    :lol:
    you got any secret trails i need to know about? or any secret breaks (it needs to be very secret, i know them all , even the one just by culver hole, and the one off worms head....)
    :lol::lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Don't know if anyone has pasted this link but it sums up all that needs to be said about frame materials- steel is best.

http://www.rivbike.com/article/bicycle_ ... _materials
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    steel is best.

No, it's not.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Surf-Matt wrote:

trumped, curses! i take solace in the fact loughborough is good for what i do!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    swansea uni.... so basicaly your degree means nothing, becouse you actually spent all your time at uni at either caswell, langland, or llangenith.... or when it was flat, clyne, kilvey, or afan, or when it was dark wine street... or....or....or....
    :lol:
    you got any secret trails i need to know about? or any secret breaks (it needs to be very secret, i know them all , even the one just by culver hole, and the one off worms head....)
    :lol::lol:

Oi oi I did do some work... :wink:

Caswell is so poor for surf it's not worth mentioning.
    N end Gennith is okay.
    Langland can be good.

But the reefs are even better :wink:

Used to cycle all over the place - I found loads of fun trails.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i agree caswell is hardly worth mentioning, or at least i would have agreed, untill last month i went in there.....
    6 ft totaly glass. best surf in years, and yes, the reefs are the best.....
    where are these many fun trails, im looking for something fresh.....
    I like bikes and stuff