Rock Lobster (upgraded) and a fixed thing!

Captain Turok
Captain Turok Posts: 686
edited February 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Gave them both a proper clean and the sun was shining. Good as excuse as any for a couple of photos! xgfsoz.jpg
Frame- 19" RockLobster Team Tig SL '08 with ti bottle boss bolts (bitchin' black :D ).
Fork- Reba Team with the PopLoc removed (plan to stretch to 115mm when they need a service).
bars- Easton carbon MonkeyLite SL (OS).
Stem- Thomson X4 Elite, 90mm 10° with a ti bolt kit.
H/set- Crane Creek S2.
Grips- Ritchey WCS Ergo foam.
Brakes- Hope Mono Minis with the floating rotors (183mm F, 160mm R), braided hoses and ti bolts on lthe clamps and rotors. (Plan to change over to plastic hoses at some point).
Shifters- XT with the window pods removed and ti bolt kit.
Front mech- XT with ti bolt kit.
Rear mech- XT Shadow.
Seat- Selle Italia SLR ti.
Seat post- KCNC Scandium Ti Pro Lite.
Seat post clamp- KCNC Ti Pro Lite.
Cranks- XT.
Chain- KMC X9 SL.
Cassette- XT.
Pedals- Mag V12's with the ti axles and gold pimp kit.
B/bracket- Shimano.
Rims- Mavic XC717
Spokes- DT double butted.
Hubs- XT 6bolt with KCNC ti q/r skewer's.
Tubes- Schwalbe XX-Lite.
Tires- Supersonic SpeedKings, 2.3 F, 2.1R.
Weight- 22lb 14oz, as pictured ready to play! 30djyxj.jpg2gy2eck.jpg

I fancy a set of lighter wheels (Stans on either XTR or a grease packed Hope 3), but I stopped upgrading it when the prices went do-lally a little while ago.

But since deciding to delay any further RockLobster related purchases, I've bought a new fixed gear thing of ebay. Although it currently stands me in much less than a new pair of lighter wheels for the MTB!.. 29o4fmu.jpg the polite word is challenging :lol:
*Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
*C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
*1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes

Comments

• Couple of extra pics of my baby that now REALLY wants a new set of wheels..
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Captain Turok - just do it! Crank Brothers, and Industry 9 are also calling!!

Sorry for causing you more distress. But I know you love it! :wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    Captain Turok - just do it! Crank Brothers, and Industry 9 are also calling!!

Sorry for causing you more distress. But I know you love it! :wink:

i have just done a little sex wee. how nice are they.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Very nice chap :wink:

What size frame is it? Looks quite a bit bigger than mine.
  • Captain Turok
    Captain Turok Posts: 686
    edited July 2009
    bigchazrocks Thanks but I made my mind up this morning! I want the black Hope 3 spoke rotor on Stans rims, 1473g. Although I want them running as quiet as a Shimano hub :?

adb1006 Its a 19" frame, I'm 6'2". I see you're a chap of fine taste also! :D
  • adb1006
    adb106 Its a 19" frame, I'm 6'2". I see you're a chap of fine taste also! :D

Indeed i am :wink:

How come yours is so much lighter than mine??? Out of interest, what on mine would you "tweak" to get some extra weight off?
  • adb1006 wrote:
    adb106 Its a 19" frame, I'm 6'2". I see you're a chap of fine taste also! :D

Indeed i am :wink:

How come yours is so much lighter than mine??? Out of interest, what on mine would you "tweak" to get some extra weight off?
    Its a tough one to call they're lovely bikes at 26lb+, which is what mine was.
    But comparing a few bits (purely in grams) and from a quick look at a few sites, so don't shoot me if I'm out by a few grams! :-)
    Saddle 306g - 140g = 166g
    Seatpost 293g - 142g = 151g (yours is 27.2 / 410mm setback?)
    Grips 120g(?) - 40g = 80g (Guessing the Peatys weigh similar to Moabs LockOns?)
    QR wheel skewers 120g - 44g = 76g
    Thats an easy 1lb there and you can probably add a good half pound with the Spesh tires, valves and sealant I reckon.
    I'm also sure there are better value ways to get a similar weight saving, but its a good bike at 26lb+ 8)
  • adb1006
    Its a tough one to call they're lovely bikes at 26lb+, which is what mine was.
    But comparing a few bits (purely in grams) and from a quick look at a few sites, so don't shoot me if I'm out by a few grams! :-)
    Saddle 306g - 140g = 166g
    Seatpost 293g - 142g = 151g (yours is 27.2 / 410mm setback?)
    Grips 120g(?) - 40g = 80g (Guessing the Peatys weigh similar to Moabs LockOns?)
    QR wheel skewers 120g - 44g = 76g
    Thats an easy 1lb there and you can probably add a good half pound with the Spesh tires, valves and sealant I reckon.
    I'm also sure there are better value ways to get a similar weight saving, but its a good bike at 26lb+ 8)

Cheers for your advice!

It weighs in at pretty much 25lbs on the nose 8)

The saddle is an interesting one as i'm thinking mine will need replacing soon so i'll definitely look into that.

The seatpost i knew was a heavy one but i fancied the Thomson for the looks and quality. It was also fecking expensive so i don't think i'll be changing that in a hurry :D I will be lopping an inch or two off it though as there's quite a bit extra as i'm a short-arse!

Grips are on my radar too - i think the Peaty's are 130g. What are yours out-of-interest?

Not sure about the skewers - they came with the wheelset - they're probably quite heavy but i like the way you can position the front one under the rebound adjuster to save losing it. I'll have to do some research :?

Tubeless tyres - yeah they're always heavier than normal. The Spesh ones are pretty light for tubeless though i think, plus i'm saving the weight of a tube (although i appreciate that a light tyre/tube combo like yours is lighter overall). Problem here is though that i'm a puncture magnet - to the point where it was ruining my enjoyment of riding - so the few months that i've been tubeless have been a revelation to me.

I'm also thinking of changing the bars - going from the alu risers to some carbon flats - that should knock a few grams off :)
  • The grips are described by Wiggle as being 36g (exc bar plugs) and they're only £9.

A change to a flat carbon bar could be upto another 100grams off.

I'm with you on the Thomson stuff, loving the machined finish 8) Gotta forget what the bits weigh sometimes! You can always change the bolts to ti :wink:

Check the weightweenies website for ideas? Cutting the seatpost down is an easy tweek.
  • edit= double post
  • No-one has been childish enough to slag fixies off yet? Only me? That proper bike at the top is quite nice though, good work!
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Reba Team (plan to stretch to 1150mm and remove pop loc when they need a service).

Over a metre of travel...wow...might be a bit slow on the handling side... ;)
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Nice to see a brooks saddle out and about :)

Nice bikes too. :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • mozzy10
    mozzy10 Posts: 179
    if you're looking at changing grips then these may be worth a try for £5.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=280

I think they're basically the same as the ritchey wcs foam grips so should be around 40g. This would make a pretty good £/g.
    It\'s not your aptitude but your attitude that determins your altitude
  • Jon_sillito Child'ish comments re my fixie, go for it :lol: I love it and I'm considering the next splash of fluro for it!

ravey1981 Oops! thats a bit slacker than I'd fancy :oops:

Whytepeak I'm learning that hard saddles can be cumfy! The SLR on my MTB looks like torture but thats comfortable too.

mozzy10 Ive got the Ritchey WCS Ergo Foam grips fitted to both my bikes, comfortable and light enough already.
  • mozzy10
    Sorry Captain Turok. The grip suggetion was really aimed at adb1006 to follow up on your suggestions about lossing weight by getting foam grips- I should of made that clear. I was just saying you could save the same weight for £3 less by getting the superstar foam grips instead of ritchey WCS.
  • adb1006
    mozzy10 wrote:
    Sorry Captain Turok. The grip suggetion was really aimed at adb1006 to follow up on your suggestions about lossing weight by getting foam grips- I should of made that clear. I was just saying you could save the same weight for £3 less by getting the superstar foam grips instead of ritchey WCS.

:wink:

I actually went for the Ritchey in the end - they came to 29g for the pair including the endplugs - well chuffed with them :D
  • mozzy10
    ha, yeh, i just read your thread and saw them. O well, its only 3 quid; I'm sure its not broke your bank.

Anyway after buying the superstar pair myself they came in at 45 g including endplugs, so maybe the ritchey ones are worth the extra (if its humanly possible to notice 16 g while riding).
  • mozzy10 wrote:
    (if its humanly possible to notice 16 g while riding).
    :lol: Yup it's a silly game!
  • Roll up, roll up!..

The "fixed fake'enger" is for sale, £110-£150. Need the space for another much older, almost completed, fixed gear.

Full details are in the BR classified road section, it's listed as "upgraded fixed gear/single speed bike".
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    i would if i still drank and took recreational drugs
  • i would if i still drank and took recreational drugs
    Buy the bike an I'll include some. ;) What else are you supposed to be doing on Friday night when using the internet!?
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Fantastic Lobster, mine was the love of my life until it went walkabout courtesy of some light fingered chav scum.

Take good care it and they'll love u more than the most faithfull of old hounds :D