Garmin Edge Help. Please

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
What is the difference between a TCX and a GPX file? Ive noticed that TCX files don't seem to prompt you in the same way.

Is there an easy way to record a ride and then turn it into a route with nav points? Or do you have to copy it out in bike toaster?

Yes I have tried to read the manual but like everyone says, its useless.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    *.tcx is a file format created by Garmin for the EDge series and is limited to their programmes and limited others.

*.gpx or GPS exchange files are readable by all mapping programmes, but may lose some data.

The quick answer to your second question is that the Edge is not designed for this. The use of *.crs and and the other unique files makes it dificult. You can convert a historical ride to a course and navigate this by ollowing the route, but it is not the same as following with way points.

The Edge is NOT a GPS mapping or navigating tool, so even if you are using a third party is the only way to really do this you will never get a track with waypoints as you are seeking.

You are far better with an Etrex or similar for this type of navigation..
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Cunobelin wrote:

The Edge is NOT a GPS mapping or navigating tool, so even if you are using a third party is the only way to really do this you will never get a track with waypoints as you are seeking.

I thought it was which is why I bought it.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Cunobelin wrote:
    The Edge is NOT a GPS mapping or navigating tool

what is it then?

mine navigates me via maps using GPS
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Cunobelin
    THe Edge 205 1nd 305 are bike computers that happen to use GPS as a recorder.

They do not have waypoints, marks or any of the features that a navigating GPS needs to function.

What it does is limited - it is a training aid.

I am afraid you are not the first or last to be mistaken by the way this device is pormoted and advertised

This is a scren shot of the "navigation screen" of an Edge 305:

img_4739-2.JPG
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • DominicB
    DominicB Posts: 15
    Which model Edge do you have.

Some of the models are pretty good at routing, gps etc. Maybe Cunobelin is referring to the functionaility in the earlier versions, not the 605 or 705.
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    Not sure everything above is factual? After shaking 3 Etrex to death on rough Lake District back roads I decided last week to opt for the cheaper alternative of a 205. Had a quick play with it at weekend and had no problem with loading a route with waypoints from my Fugawi software. Admittedly the 205 has nothing like the functionality of my previous Summit HC and by far the biggest draw back I have encountered so far is that it does not display distance to next waypoint. However it does navigate by waypoints with an audible bleep at each point. Basic but useable in my opinion.
  • Cunobelin
    DominicB wrote:

Some of the models are pretty good at routing, gps etc. Maybe Cunobelin is referring to the functionaility in the earlier versions, not the 605 or 705.

As I speciified above?

After my experience with the 305, I was unwilling to take similar risks with an upgrade so use a SatMap which is brilliant!
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    good job i bought a 705 then eh?

DHEDGE705BUN.jpg
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Solis
    Cunobelin wrote:
    DominicB wrote:

After my experience with the 305, I was unwilling to take similar risks with an upgrade so use a SatMap which is brilliant!

Cunobelin, out of interest how much action has your satmap seen on the bike? Took delivery of mine at the weekend and trying to iron out a stack of issues ( GPS lock, Satsync download etc ) but after my experiences of shaking etrex's to bits on the bike was going to save the satmap for walking duties, if I thought it was up rough road riding may have to invest in the bike mount.
  • Cunobelin
    Solis wrote:
    Cunobelin wrote:
    DominicB wrote:

Cunobelin, out of interest how much action has your satmap seen on the bike? Took delivery of mine at the weekend and trying to iron out a stack of issues ( GPS lock, Satsync download etc ) but after my experiences of shaking etrex's to bits on the bike was going to save the satmap for walking duties, if I thought it was up rough road riding may have to invest in the bike mount.

About 3000 miles commuting and about 1000 miles touring. Not a lot of "off road", but Sustrans canal paths, Portsmouth roads and occasional tracks. Totally reliable so far
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin wrote:

The 305 can't plan a route for you or show mapping for you to follow live, but with a bit of preperation it does give you alerts for preprogrammed routes and waypoints. Depending how you've programmed it, will tell you LT / RT / SA etc as you approach turnings or features. Frank Kinlan has an excellent website that shows you how to get teh best from your 305.

Personally, I'd never just go out randomly cycling a route I'd never domne before. I'd always check a map so I knew what to excpect. And if I'm doing that, I might as well stick some data on the 305 to keep me right.
  • Cunobelin
    I use Memory-Map for just this reason
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Solis
    Further to my last post, spent a few more hours with the 205 at the weekend and pleasently surprised with its navigation capabilities when linked up to my Fugawi pc mapping. Route / Waypoints load straight in and unit recognises OSGB format. The basic line map is easy to follow but the pointer page is far better than I had expected. Whilst no distance countdown (unlike Etrex) it alerts of waypoints 200 ft audiably in advance and zooms into the change of direction plotted. So no complaints from me on the navigation front.

Re Satmap thanks Cunobelin, will purchase the bike mount and cross my fingers!