McQuaid (and his wallet) love Lance!

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited July 2009 in Pro race
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/8593937
Lance Armstrong's comeback has boosted media coverage of cycling and it would be great if he would stay around for another year, the president of the International Cycling Union said on Monday.

"He brings more media interest, regardless of people's opinion on what he has done or not done -- which was not proven," Pat McQuaid told Reuters.

"I would like him to stay one more year. It would mean (from now), 18 more months of media interest," said McQuaid.

My question to him then is, what will you do to keep as large a percentage as possible of those new viewers and media members after he leaves?

Comments

• drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    "I love Lance. He does my job for me." :roll:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Here's a question. If cycling was a company

If Lance were the CEO of cycling
    And McQuaid was the Chairman
    And we're the shareholders

What would we be concerned about from Pat's statement?

(if you need a clue, think about Steve Jobs position at Apple)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • donrhummy
    iainf72 wrote:

Exactly, that's my point. We don't want this to be like Bismark where Prussia's power and standing in the world was due entirely to him and when he left it all went kaput. What is McQuaid doing to keep even 10% of the Lance-gains after he leaves? What studies are being done to discover what's keeping them interested? Is he collecting every non-regular journalist's contact info so he can shmooze/coax them back after Lance leaves?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    donrhummy wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Exactly, that's my point. We don't want this to be like Bismark where Prussia's power and standing in the world was due entirely to him and when he left it all went kaput. What is McQuaid doing to keep even 10% of the Lance-gains after he leaves? What studies are being done to discover what's keeping them interested? Is he collecting every non-regular journalist's contact info so he can shmooze/coax them back after Lance leaves?

Lance is the big deal right now. Key words being right now. After he's gone interest in
    cycling may decline somewhat. I don't know if that's anything anyone can prevent.
    In sports, like businesses, ups and downs and the like are part of the game. Maybe after Lance, a new "star" will hit the scene in a few years and Lance, like many stars before him, will still get his name mentioned and make appearances but everyone will be talking
    about "that new guy".
  • donrhummy
    dennisn wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Lance is the big deal right now. Key words being right now. After he's gone interest in
    cycling may decline somewhat. I don't know if that's anything anyone can prevent.
    In sports, like businesses, ups and downs and the like are part of the game. Maybe after Lance, a new "star" will hit the scene in a few years and Lance, like many stars before him, will still get his name mentioned and make appearances but everyone will be talking
    about "that new guy".

It's all about what you do with it and how you package it. The NBA was struggling before Michael Jordan and he revitalized it and made it huge but the NBA got REAL smart in their moves to popularize the sport to a new audience and look - it's bigger now than during MJ's reign.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    donrhummy wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

about "that new guy".

It's all about what you do with it and how you package it. The NBA was struggling before Michael Jordan and he revitalized it and made it huge but the NBA got REAL smart in their moves to popularize the sport to a new audience and look - it's bigger now than during MJ's reign.

I agree. It could happen in cycling. Although in basketball it didn't hurt that Lebron came on the scene not long after Mike J. Now Mike is doing underwear commercials(for a ton of money) and Lebron is shooting hoops, for a ton of money.