GF Marco Pantani - Worth a punt..

bahzob
bahzob Posts: 2,195
Just a quick plug for the GF Marco Pantani which I did couple of weeks ago.

Its a great event, 2000 riders or so, similar in style/toughness to the Marmotte but sufficiently different to be special in its own right. Highlights are the 2 climbs up the Gavia and Moritrolo linked by a mindblowing 30+ mile/80+ min descent (not for the fainthearted...). Choice of routes 90k (no Gavia and up the easy side of the Mortirolo) 150k (Gavia/tough Mortirolo) 175k (Gavia/Mortirolo + extra sting in tail climb 6km at 9%.) 150 and 175 follow same route, only difference is those doing 175 pass by finish to do the extra climb, bit of a test of will when you can see others eating/drinking.

Roads are mostly fully closed, those that aren't have police marshals to stop cars so traffic isn't a problem. Lots of food/drink stops and loads of support from locals, especially up the Mortirolo

Entry is around €40 + €5 for timing chip. Goody bag includes a quality Giodarna cycle top with Pantani image thats probably worth €40 in itself + post race pasta/drink.

Logistics are simple,
- entry online via SDAM http://www.sdam.it (in Italian but not too difficult.
- event start/finish in Aprica which is a ski resort with plenty of hotels (I booked only a couple of weeks in advance). Event also provides space for camper vans to park up.
- timing is last week in June which gives option to double up with Marmotte or Etape (one benefit to doing this, after the Mortirolo any other climb feels a lot easier!!).
- alternatively once at Aprica lots of other good cycling to be had nearby. e.g. Stelvio via nearby Bormio.
Martin S. Newbury RC

Comments

• Thanks for that information.

This is definitely one for my list, the photos I've seen of the Gavia and Moritrolo look fantastic.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • yeh....nice one , could be up for it next year....what were your flight and transfer details/costs?
  • bahzob
    yeh....nice one , could be up for it next year....what were your flight and transfer details/costs?

I made a 2 week trip, combining with Marmotte + some time in Mercantour park so drove down. Nearest major city is Milan, its about an hour and half drive from there.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    I rode it in 2007. It's a tough event. The Gavia is a huge climb and tough. The organisers blocked the road at the steepest (and narrowest) section and let people through in single file which delayed everyone by at least 30 minutes. Did they do that this year?

The Mortirolo is utterly horrific. Very, very steep, probably the steepest constant Alpine climb I've ever ridden. It was hot too and as it starts at approx 550 m above sea level the heat is a factor from the off. The joy of cresting the summit was soon wiped away by the 15 kms of up and down before the descent back into Aprica. I'd planned to do the full distance but was much later than expected and had my gf waiting in Sondrio so finished on the first pass of the line.

I flew in and out of Malpensa, but we spent a week at Lake Maggiore afterwards and it was easier to fly home from there. I think either Linate or Bergamo would be the closest airports.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    andyp wrote:
    The Mortirolo is utterly horrific.
    I'll second that. The climb is consistently above 10%, sometimes you have 15% for 500m before you go back to an easier 12% for a kilometre until the next 15% section. :twisted:

The Stelvio and Finestre and pretty tough too but the Mortirolo is the worst Italian climb for me.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I did not enjoy the first half of the Mortirolo as I kept thinking what if it get worse as it was pretty steep for a LONG time. Started to enjoy it on the 2nd half as I knew it does not get worse and could actually put in a real effort to get up quicker

Wished I had not though when I cycled up the Gavia later that day - that was a tough climb when you are already tired and had done the Stelvio previously the day before and my legs were sore. Worth the effort and pain though.
    Brian B.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A fella just did a smashing blog and pictures of the GF Pantani this year here:-

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 354&page=1

And you can read what I thought of the Gavia and Mortirolo here:-

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 325&page=1
  • bahzob
    andyp wrote:
    I rode it in 2007. It's a tough event. The Gavia is a huge climb and tough. The organisers blocked the road at the steepest (and narrowest) section and let people through in single file which delayed everyone by at least 30 minutes. Did they do that this year?

Happily no. Only minor bottlenecks were in towns on initial descent from Aprica. After then the route was a delight to ride since roads were pretty much closed off to traffic.
    Martin S. Newbury RC