Another dumb question

Coriander
Coriander Posts: 1,326
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Are finishes designated by the race authorities as 'sprint finishes' with the 35 points only available then or are 35 points given to the first person over the finish line on each and every stage?

Comments

• don key
    don key Posts: 494
    Dash not a dumb question but my answer might swerve into that category as I donut know
    with any great shirtainty.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Every stage except TTs, which have less points.
    Plus some bonus sprints during the stages.

Cav's picked up 2 wins already with very few points going to the other sprinters.
    Very good chance of taking green if he makes it to Paris.
    exercise.png
  • Coriander
    So, if I've understood, there are 8 stages that Cavendish is likely to win. But there are also at least 8 mountain stages that, say, Contador could win. That would then give Contador the same number of points from finishing first as Cavendish, would it not? And he would then be in green???
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Coriander wrote:
    So, if I've understood, there are 8 stages that Cavendish is likely to win. But there are also at least 8 mountain stages that, say, Contador could win. That would then give Contador the same number of points from finishing first as Cavendish, would it not? And he would then be in green???

There are 8 'flat' stages - but Cav isn't likely to win them all. Count on 4, maybe more, but not 8. Breakaways, crashes, flat tyres, life - they all happen and you can't control every stage.

Also - Contador isn't likely to win all 8 mountain top stages. Maybe none of them to be honest.

But yes - in theory - if Cav won 7 stages and Contador won 8 stages, then Contador would take the green jersey on points -assuming no other points were won elsewhere.
  • TheStone
    edited July 2009
    Yep, it does happen. I think Lance won a green jersey on one of his GC wins.

However a climber usually won't contest as many finishes as a sprinter and doesn't pick up many bonuses along the way.

Edit: Lance didn't win green. Not sure where I got that from?
    exercise.png
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    You are correct about the possibility,but in the real world,in a sprint,there are the usual suspects,& with current form,most wouldn't bet gainst Cav.
    However,in the mountains,a lot more tactics come into play,& you would be unlikely to find Contador challenging for the win in more than,say,50% of the mountain stages
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    How many points in a TTT?

And do all riders in the team get equal points or is it in order over the line?

If Cav gets dropped by his team, but they still win by having 5 over the line in the best time will he still get points?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • The 35 points are not available for green jersey on every stage, just the flat sprint stages (as defined by the tour organisers). 25 points for winner of "medium mountain" stage and 20 points for winner of "high mountain" stage. If you're a spotter/interested you can read all the rules (including prize money) at http://www.letour.fr/2009/TDF/COURSE/do ... _fr_us.pdf.

If you end up 20th on the GC in Paris then you win 950 euros - better than a poke in the eye but not a huge amount really..........
  • Here's the bit from the official regulations:

For the “fl at” in-line stages (art. 22-
    coeff. 1): 35, 30, 26, 24, 22, 20, 19, 18,
    17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6,
    5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 point for the fi rst 25
    riders to fi nish;
    • For the “medium mountain” in-line
    stages (art. 22-coeff. 2): 25, 22, 20, 18,
    16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4,
    3, 2 and 1 point for the fi rst 20 riders to
    fi nish;
    • For the “high mountain” in-line stages
    (art. 22-coeff. 3 and coeff. 4): 20, 17, 15,
    13, 12, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1
    point for the fi rst 15 riders to fi nish;
    In the event of a dead heat in a stage
    fi nish, the riders are credited with the
    number of points they would receive,
    divided by the number of riders concerned.
    These points are then rounded up
    to the nearest ½ point.
    • For the individual time trial stages (art.
    22-coeff. 5): 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and
    1 point to the fi rst 10 riders to fi nish.
    • For each intermediate sprint, the fi rst
    3 riders to fi nish will receive 6, 4 and
    2 points respectively.
  • TheStone
    The 35 points are not available for green jersey on every stage, just the flat sprint stages (as defined by the tour organisers). 25 points for winner of "medium mountain" stage and 20 points for winner of "high mountain" stage. If you're a spotter/interested you can read all the rules (including prize money) at http://www.letour.fr/2009/TDF/COURSE/do ... _fr_us.pdf.

If you end up 20th on the GC in Paris then you win 950 euros - better than a poke in the eye but not a huge amount really..........

Cheers, I didn't realise they had less points for the non flat stages.
    exercise.png
  • AO1504
    AO1504 Posts: 57
    TheStone wrote:

Lance didn't win green. Not sure where I got that from?

He did wear the green jersey for a day or 2 in 2004

_40345221_armstrong_start200245.jpg
  • Coriander
    I see that Stages 10 and 13 will be run without team radios. This sounds like a very good thing to inexperienced, old, cynical me.

But is it?
  • Coriander
    Coriander wrote:
    I see that Stages 10 and 13 will be run without team radios. This sounds like a very good thing to inexperienced, old, cynical me.

But is it?

Was this such a dumb question that it's not worthy of an answer? I thought you people who know more about this sport than me would have a view... no?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Probably because we don't know yet!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    race radios - theoretically it should tip the balance back a bit in favour of the breakaways, at the moment the peloton can ride faster than a soloist or a small group and with radios the ds can control the tempo required to the nth degree meaning that the chance of a breakaway winning is so small now

cynical people will say that no radios on bastille day will give the french (who have few sprinters in the peloton) better chance of a stage win

I say it's still a good idea, makes the racers more self reliant
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight