Follow The Dog closures

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited July 2009 in Routes
I just wondered if anyone knows when sections 6/7 will be open again?

Comments

• Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    Until further notice apparently....

http://www.bikeadventuresuk.com/forum/v ... php?t=7618

I miss Cannock, hopefully when i'm back at the end of August i might be able to ride phase 2.
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • .blitz
    Think it says 'until further notice' on the signs they've put up :)

Section 6/7 was getting a bit dodgy in places but I wondered if it would be closed for days/weeks/months? It seemed as though the boardwalk at the start of section 6 had only just opened when it was closed again :(
  • BorisSpencer
    BorisSpencer Posts: 786
    What about the old section 8, I was there yesterday and it is no longer signposted as part of the trail. We used to ride that and then come back to the top and ride the new section 8.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • .blitz
    Is that closed as well ? I only ever go left at the top of the hill so I haven't noticed :?
  • BorisSpencer
    It didn't have any barriers blocking it, but it wasn't signposted.
    I once followed someone on an alternative to the climb up to section 8, it went to the left of the fireroad and came out about two thirds of the way up. That had been blocked with some large lumps of tree.
  • Fully
    I once followed someone on an alternative to the climb up to section 8, it went to the left of the fireroad and came out about two thirds of the way up. That had been blocked with some large lumps of tree.

There are alternatives both sides of the fireroad, over time they (Especially the one on the right) have become quite cut up though. Still, a lot more interesting than the fireroad.

One of the things that i love about Cannock is that you can leave FTD virtually anywhere and find some great hidden singletrack within minutes. I've heard lots of good stuff about the new trails that are due for completion in the Autumn (A lot 'Redder', and with some Black options 8) )
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • .blitz
    Fully wrote:
    I've heard lots of good stuff about the new trails that are due for completion in the Autumn (A lot 'Redder', and with some Black options
    There are some pics and info on Chase Trails blog if you haven't already seen them. The black runs are allegedly more black than some of the hardcore sections at Welsh and Scottish trail centres.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    It didn't have any barriers blocking it, but it wasn't signposted.

Climb.. Climb? there was a climb on that trail.. where where?
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    6 and 7 will be re-opened once they've been repaired and everything's had time to settle, I assume. Obviously if you see any bits of trail closed off, don't ride it! It'll wreck the repair work and prolong the closure, and more importantly, anger the Trail Pixies. A lot of people think that it'll be OK if it's just them, or that if other people do it then why shouldn't they, but it really does slow things down. :(

Things are a bit hectic on the trail building front at the moment with Phase II, so if people want things to be speeded up, they can always turn up on a Sunday to help with the trail building. ;) The Big Build Days focus on the new trail, but there's also building/maintaining every Sunday, which tends to be a mix of working on the new trail or repairs on FtD.

The old section 8 is now obsolete - it won't be closed off, as far as I'm aware, but the signs have been removed as it's no longer going to be maintained, same as with the old sections 3 and 4.
  • OH NO Dan
    OH NO Dan Posts: 186
    Im thinking about doing this trail tomorrow morning. Is it still worth going because of the closures?
  • BorisSpencer
    The only missing feature is the skinny over the swamp, if you usually enjoy ftd then you still will.
  • OH NO Dan
    The only missing feature is the skinny over the swamp, if you usually enjoy ftd then you still will.

Ive never done ftd so im really looking forward to it. Forecast is abit wet but ill brave it I reckon.
  • BorisSpencer
    I did it last Monday in a monsoon, be prepared to clean plenty of sand and grit off your bike.
  • BorisSpencer
    I did it last Monday in a monsoon, be prepared to clean plenty of sand and grit off your bike.
  • The Hogester
    The Hogester Posts: 101
    I went round on Saturday, it was superb! I was expecting mud, but it turned out to be a lovely day for riding.
  • OH NO Dan
    Went this morning and thought it was awesome! Trails were abit wet which caught me out on the rocky sections a few times. Cant wait to go back now.

Also, can i ride to the downhill section from the start of ftd?
  • Fully
    OH NO Dan wrote:

Get to the end of the section with the boardwalk/skinny. Instead of going up the fireroad climb, turn left, follow to road, turn right onto road, follow under railway bridge to junction, cross junction down slip road to farm buildings, follow fireroad that goes to the left of the farm and you'll get to the DH area. It's not far, about a 1.5km or so from where you leave the dog.

If in doubt, ask in Swinno's and they'll put you right.

A Few Pics
  • OH NO Dan
    Fully wrote:
    OH NO Dan wrote:

Get to the end of the section with the boardwalk/skinny. Instead of going up the fireroad climb, turn left, follow to road, turn right onto road, follow under railway bridge to junction, cross junction down slip road to farm buildings, follow fireroad that goes to the left of the farm and you'll get to the DH area. It's not far, about a 1.5km or so from where you leave the dog.

If in doubt, ask in Swinno's and they'll put you right.

Ok cool. I'll have a ride that way next time im there.