No more TDF on the main page!!

Vegeeta
Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
Pleeeaase! No more TDF on the main page!

It was bad enough when you decided to put all the road and mountain bike info on one website but all I've seen for the past few weeks is TDF this and TDF that... can we keep it to the roadie sections as it's getting a bit much now.
Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited July 2009
    Stupid double post
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    Quite - I am watching the TDF and having the days stage ruined by a huge spoiler is unforgivable. There is absolutely no need for it - selfish and thoughtless. You should know better. Whats the point of forum members being courteous enough to post spoiler warnings in threads if the forum admin can't manage the same on the main page? Pathetic.
  • [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    Grow up.
    If you don't want to know the result then don't look at a cycling news portal while the (arguably) biggest cycle event of the year is going on.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    [Tim] wrote:
    Grow up.
    If you don't want to know the result then don't look at a cycling news portal while the (arguably) biggest cycle event of the year is going on.
    Ditto.

A quote from the BikeRadar editor:

"Not going to happen, sorry - why hide news on a news website? That's just bonkers.

If you don't want to find out results until you've watched the highlights, then don't visit the main page of the site."
  • rolf_f
    Not bonkers - common sense. A headline "Todays Tour de France results here' would be perfectly adequate. Would avoid spoiling and would provide exactly the same info in as easily accessible way. Apologies for being pissed off that I now can't look at a useful main page for the next two weeks.

And yes - I do now know not to visit the main page anymore. Will stick with the forum from now on. i've learned that lesson the hard way.

PS Tim - I'm fully grown up as it happens but thanks for asking Sweetie :wink:
  • rolf_f
    Update! I've just cycled home and a strong headwind has blown some common sense back into me! So, I am sorry for being a plank; I was just disappointed at having my evenings viewing spoiled it being the first TDF I've followed properly. I really do appreciate both the forum and main website here. It is a real credit to all involved and I do have some understanding of just how much work it takes to run these things. I should be a bit more appreciative.

Still though - could you please reconsider in part? A headline announcing the 'Results of stage XX' would be just as good at indicating that the latest news is here. Even if there was details of the results on the main page, in non banner headline type, it would mean that you could still use the main page without your eyes automatically picking up the results. All it took was a fraction of a second, not even consciously reading the headline for me to learn both the stage win and green jersey outcome.

Anyway, either way, please pass on my apologies to the team - I'm normally much more of a :ghug: type than forum rotweiller!
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Hi Rolf,

Unfortunately we can't please all of the people all of the time on BikeRadar, much as we'd like to be able to.

The redesign of Cyclingnews raised this issue, which they have partly been able to get around by offering a 'headlines off' mode (although there is the matter of the big photo and headline on the carousel...). We can't do that, but it's something we may consider in future.

That said, our news has to be search-friendly to drive people to our site. That means descriptive headlines. They work because many more people want to find out what happened than don't.

The internet is a communication medium - just like radio and TV. It's absolutely perfect for news, and news is a big deal on the web. If you don't want to spoil the suspense before a certain time, then the best thing to do is avoid it until after that time. Our forums are pretty spoiler-free but there are occasional exceptions that will be outside your control.

A useful analogy in this case is newpapers. They don't put 'big news inside' on their front pages so that people can go home and watch the 6pm news on TV, meanwhile browsing the letters section of the paper. They want to be first with the news and get their news out to as many eyeballs as possible.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • rolf_f
    Hello Jeff

"Headlines off" would be great. I only wish I'd be able to make use of it outside the Tour as I can never see much bike racing at any other time on freeview. Didn't think about the advertising angle of the headlines.......

I do see what you mean about newspaper headlines but then most headlines don't have a spoiler element. News is news (and by definition should be provided as soon as possible) whereas sport is entertainment and news. The news element, where prime time TV coverage is involved, does conflict with the entertainment aspect. In the case of a website like this, I can understand if you bias towards the news angle but, certainly for me, biking and everything about biking is primarily hobby.

Anyway, if you can do anything that enables a choice to be made that can suit everyone, I'd appreciate it - if not, I understand. BTW the stage was still an enjoyable watch but the final suspense was lost a bit :lol: