Helmet size

Ryan09
Ryan09 Posts: 121
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could give me a idea of how to measure youself for a helmet.

And what would you recommend full face you the small one that only covers the top.

Well i think the fullface helmet would be much safer but would it look stupid on someone that is only a beginner.

??

Please help

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Tape measure around your head (as you would fit a hat) - result in cm.

Helmet manufacturers vary as to what size they consider S/M/L - so check.

Then TRY SOME ON! Just because a particular helmet is the right "size" - different manufaturers vary as to what shape they use - some more "round" some more "oval". See what feels best for you.

Full face looking stupid? Tell that to someone who's removing a tree from their nostril. 8)
    Cycling weakly
  • Ryan09
    Thanks alot i will go up to my local bike store and test some tomorro.

And yeah i think ill have a look at the full face. Much safer
  • elscorcho
    elscorcho Posts: 44
    Place a measuring tape around your head about 1 inch above your eyebrows. Make sure the tape is level and not loose so that you get an accurate measurement. It may be easier if someone helped you measure your head.

The type of helmet used usually depends on what type of cycling you are doing. Full face helmets are usually worn by downhill mountain bikers-they provide more protection in a crash but are heavier and you will get warmer when wearing one of these compared to when wearing a lighter cross country type helmet.

You may like to visit a local bike shop where you can try on a few helmets to find one that fits you well and that you find comfortable.
  • Ryan09
    Yeah i will and yeah i do downhill.

So i think im going to get a fullface