Me vs hills

fallingoff
fallingoff Posts: 332
I'm 47 and I've always ridden mx'er's and enjoyed outdoor activities,I stopped smoking 9 years ago and motox about 3 years ago but regularly play paintball,I have a cat call..oops :oops: .
During bouts of not playing I lounged around eating etc,lounged in the past tense as in May I "popped" a testicle of sorts and during the ensuing recooperation period I gained (very quickly) 1/2 a stone.
I wasn't happy turning into a bouncy castle so I decided to do something about it and started riding,I have 2 bikes one set-up for the road and one for tow-paths etc.
I've kitted them well and they aren't Kat-a-log speshals,I've got into it properly and even added spd's to the roadie(first try 2nite...great..).
I'am taking advice from as many people as possible,I ride 5 out of 7 days(shift work) averaging 16 miles per outing and 1 stint of 35-45 miles.
I've lost the 1/2 and another 1/2 and am really enjoying it,my friends have left me as they can't/won't keep up.
I've invested in a drinks supplement and I've even brought a "power-breathe" because I have an issue with hills..up them of course.
Tonight I was passed in Windsor Great park going up hill by some-one who could've painted his toe-nails at the same time;I caught him up on the following flat which suprised him and pleased me and tried to ask for advice he showed little interest,he prolly thought I was a weirdo...damn I am.....
I've orderd the reccommended book but any advice would be great..I thought if I gave as much info as possible it would help,anyway what am I doing wrong when it comes to hills..if you've read this far..THANKS.... :D

Comments

• What's a 'power breathe'

The answer to your question is - do more hills, simples :D
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    +1 for doing more hills...

I've been frustrated in the past if I've not been able to make it up a hill etc so a few months ago I adopted a new theory.

Every hill I come across, I ride up it....no matter how slow I need to go etc, I always make it to the top before taking a rest if needed. Theres no emphasis on speed whatsoever, just purely making it to the top no matter how steep or long it may be.

Its done wonders for my hill riding, I've found that despite the lack of "speed", because I'm able to make it up some silly big hills now, the speed just comes naturally when you arent struggling just to keep going. After a couple of months of this, I'm now able to power up the majority of hills I come across at a decent speed.

Just my 2p worth, may be talking complete sh*te :lol:
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    +1

Speed comes with experience. Do the hill, just make sure you get to the top.
  • fallingoff
    Thanks for the replies I sort of knew the answer but I thought Lance or Louis Armstrong might let me into a secret...
    j millen I have the same disability talk wise....didn't you notice... :oops:
    Stephen Hawking a power-breathe is an aid designed to strengthen your breathing muscles..look @ Argos.Ebay,etc...
    Here we come Everest... :wink:
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    One way that might work is to pick a speed that you can maintain all the way up and over the hill e.g. rather than starting at 5mph then 4 then 3 etc and then feel like you've failed, go at 3mph all the way up. Or at whatever speed works for you.

Aim to ride with a smooth, even cadence and stay seated in the seat and not bob around; if you have a front fork lock use it. Leaning forward slightly so your forearms are more parallel to the ground may help as well.

When you've done the hill a few times and know you can ride up pick the pace up. Pick a speed that will allow you to succeed. Reward yourself when you get up the hill. Every time you achieve your goal set a new one - one that is achievable but pushes you a bit further than last time.

And don't worry about other people - you're "racing" yourself not them :)

Hope that ramble had a hint of sense in there somewhere.

This isn't an MTB video but may be of interest (a hill is a hill): http://www.videojug.com/film/cyclefilms ... e-climbing
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Allegedly Lance Armstrong has abnormally low lactate levels when he's riding which basically means his legs don't feel tired.

To burn fat the best way to tackle hills is avoid the redline-relax-redline-relax technique and spin all the way up. Find a really big hill and ride it at a pace where you can talk in short bursts. Don't stop. Change down if necessary but don't stop. Snick it up a gear as you get to the top and ride on until your breathing returns to normal. Don't stop. Repeat.
  • fallingoff
    Thanks for all the tips,I'm out this morning for the big 35-45 miler..Henley perhaps..the everst~esque,hill coming out of there perhaps... :shock:
    I went out last night and covered 14 miles but with continuous severe cramps,I had walked most of the day though so I put it down to that.
    1.5 hours to work and then about 2.5 hour assignment,then 35 mins home...
    Thanks again. :D
  • fallingoff
    Did it yesterday and I did listen to you,I did it easily,too easily I think...
    I've changed a lot of stuff since I tried it last time,different bike 1.5 inches longer,cleats,road tyres,"juice",breathe machine trainer and I listened.
    Getting up the hills was a breeze,if you know them one was the one out of Henley towards Maidenhead,another was the Hurley "twister",and Remenham hill.
    They seemed endless when I didn't make them before,but so short when ridden.
    I had a good day and everything went right,so right in fact that I left behind my buddies who I'm usually chasing and up Remenham hill I had enough oomph left to sprint the last 25 yds to the top,I couldn't believe how easily I did it and how good I felt after.
    I attacked them less vigourously and took them at a sedate steady pace as suggested,thanks. :D
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,081
    dreaming of the downhill works for me :)