strugggling to get tyre seated right

BoboGib
BoboGib Posts: 73
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Seen as most of the riding i'm doing at the moment seems to be on tarmac, I decided to buy some schwabe land cruisers. Only problem is I can't seem to get them seated properly on the rims.

They always seem to end up with a "flat" spot where the bead of the tyre does not want to meet the rim sidewall. I've had the tyre on and off a few times and its quite stiff to get on a nd off and i've done all the normal things to try to get it to seat properly (bending and bouncing)

Short of taking it to the LBS and looking even more of a noob than I am, is there anything else that I can try, i.e lubing the bead befor fitting the tyre?

I'm positive the tyre is at fault as if I put my nevegal back on it sits fine.
exercise.png

Comments

• Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Some tyre and rim combinations can be a nightmare.
    My mate has the same semi-slicks as me. Mine go on lovely, very easy to fit. He has an absolute nightmare. I've had a go at fitting his, and I struggled too. The tyres never seem to sit right on his rims.

Washing up liquid is a good lubricant for getting tyres on.

Does your tyre have a wire bead or is it folding?

Sorry I can't be more help!
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I was recently having the same issue getting some 2.1 and 2.3 contis on my rear rim. I managed to fix it by inflating the tyre to 70-80PSI before letting it down again to the more appropriate pressure.

I was skeptical too when someone on here told me to do it, but after fiddling for about a week before being told to pump it up more; it worked a treat :D
  • oddy74
    oddy74 Posts: 91
    I had the same problems when fitting some slicks to GF bike.
    I used a combinatation of both posts above to get them to seat properly.
    I used soapy water on the bead and rims then pumped the tyres to about 80PSI and left them for a few minutes before letting them down to the correct pressure.
    They gave a satisfying POP as they seated properly.
    Oddy
  • BoboGib
    BoboGib Posts: 73
    cool, thanks for the tips, will give it a go.
    exercise.png