Dover to Austria and back. Need help with route

hcoremark
hcoremark Posts: 3
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
I am in the very early stages of planning a trip and need some route ideas.
I live in Kent so will start with Eurostar or a ferry and have a few places I deffinitly want to see on route, namely, Freiburg in the Black Forest, Bregenz in Austria, Perhaps Salzberg then Munich then head home.

Anyone done any part of this and have some useful pointers?

Should I start in Calais? Belgium? I would want to get into Germany as quickly as posible.

How long should this take? I want to have time to laze around every now and then and a bit of sight seeing too.

Like I say, early stages, I'm thinking this won't be for a year or two.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    If you are a CTC member or know someone who is there are loads of routes on their site and the forum would probably bring up some good answers as well
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • hcoremark
    hcoremark Posts: 3
    I've looked at the CTC for routes in the UK in the past but forgot all about them.
    I'll check it out.
  • MajorPayne
    MajorPayne Posts: 100
    Not sure if this helps out but using maps.google.com you can use a start and finish destination and along the route you can drag the line to where you would rather ride and it will adjust for you.

I was thinking of becoming a member of the CTC and am going to test ride on one of their 70km jaunts on a weekend day trip and then if I'm happy and still alive I'll pay up and join the group they offer third party insurance too. Of which when I brought that up with another rider he mentioned something about -You could get fully comp(or something) elsewhere and cheaper! but I'm not sure about that sort of thing to be honest.

With the traveling from UK to Europe I've found I've had to have one page open with the start UK place and then the port I'll be going to leave from into Europe and then the other page for the starting point in Europe to the ending point in Europe if that helps.

I too have been looking for more ridden routes through Europe from English chaps and CTC does seem to have about the most information on the subject, sorry I can't be of help but if or soon will be a member of the CTC group I might be able to help you out with some route, but as I'm unemployed at the moment it's hard for me to pay upfront and join.

But as mentioned if and when I join I'll help you out more if your still interested,
    Kind regards,
    MajorPayne

I'm a major payne in the rear an so's my saddle! Gotta love the local bike, innit!

The Phillips Phantom http://tinypic.com/a/x10g/2
    The Raleigh ACE! http://i31.tinypic.com/25fhzcn.jpg