MuddyTom
MuddyTom Posts: 15
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

I am a newbie to the forums and also a born again newbie to mountain biking. I started riding at high school on an inherited *enter crappy brand name* bike that my father gave me. I did a lot of woodland tracks and dirt tracks (which was quite painful on a rigid forked bike) before I just lost interest. My dad has just bought himself a Dawes XC 1.4 and started riding again and as I am off to uni and want to lose weight I want to follow suit so I am on a mission to save up about £300 to buy myself a bike.

It's a bit long winded but it means you dont have to ask questions :D

Cheers,

Tom.
New Bike Fund - £55 =I

Comments

• Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Hi and welcome! :D

Riding is great for getting fit and enjoying youself in the process!

You should be able to get a nice starter bike for £300.

Beware tho...You will start coveting other peoples bikes on this forum, and want to spend a lot more money lol
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • MuddyTom
    My original budget was £250 but I soon realised it gets very competetive in the market at about £300. I quite like the look of the Felt Q200 and the Specialized Hardrock Sport. Look out for a 'What Bike' thread coming soon. :D
    New Bike Fund - £55 =I
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    Buying a used bike will make your money go a lot further- have a look at the MTB classifieds section.

And welcome to the forum :)
  • Si78
    This decathlon isnt bad for £300.
    Good drivetrain and has cable disc brakes.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-5-3-34963817/

But there are lots of bikes for the same price, and 100 people will have 100 different opinions lol
  • MuddyTom
    I did have a look at the Decathlon but didnt particularly like the look of it. Plus there are no stockists near me. I have been reading the forum for a few days and have come to the conclusion I need a hard tail as I don't really spend that much time off road, just occasional jaunts through the local woods. And for a £300 budget I have been told to stay away from disc brakes and get a bike with decent V-brakes. The Giant Boulder looks ok and so does the Specialized Hardrock Sport. Any opinions on those?

Tom.
    New Bike Fund - £55 =I
  • Si78
    MuddyTom wrote:
    I did have a look at the Decathlon but didnt particularly like the look of it. Plus there are no stockists near me. I have been reading the forum for a few days and have come to the conclusion I need a hard tail as I don't really spend that much time off road, just occasional jaunts through the local woods. And for a £300 budget I have been told to stay away from disc brakes and get a bike with decent V-brakes. The Giant Boulder looks ok and so does the Specialized Hardrock Sport. Any opinions on those?

Tom.

Well, it sounds like you have done your research well. I guess It goes down to personal taste aswell. I reckon there isnt much spec difference between bikes in that price range, but it is worth keeping an eye out for offers and deals... Could get a bargain!

Or as mhuk said, maybe have a look at some second hand. Might find one in really good condition!
  • MuddyTom
    I have a had a look through the classifieds and all the local papers but nothing seems to be coming up. Everyone on here says that you should buy a bike with the best forks that you can, all the bikes I have been looking at have forks made by 'Suntour'. Are they good or not? I mean its going to be an improvement over a rigid forked piece of crap but I would like to get the best spec for my money.
    New Bike Fund - £55 =I
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    too late, i spent £330 on my trek 3900 about 4 weeks ago now, and want to get a new bike already. Sadly a wedding to pay for is halting my efforts to upgrade though.

May get a new bike near the end of the year when the 2010 bikes are more apparent. Think i might get a specialized rockhopper or something
    Si78 wrote:
    Hi and welcome! :D

Riding is great for getting fit and enjoying youself in the process!

You should be able to get a nice starter bike for £300.

Beware tho...You will start coveting other peoples bikes on this forum, and want to spend a lot more money lol
  • MuddyTom
    Sounds like its an addiction lol :D
    New Bike Fund - £55 =I