Comments

• nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    had to laugh at that,myself! :lol:
    just gets worse!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's weird because I find the ITV podcasts with Boardman and Boulting very good but the live coverage from Phil and Paul is like some ironic nightmare, I keep expecting Alan Partridge to join them.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Kléber wrote:
    It's weird because I find the ITV podcasts with Boardman and Boulting very good but the live coverage from Phil and Paul is like some ironic nightmare, I keep expecting Alan Partridge to join them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D568_-2E2Uo
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    You guys do realize that these men need to talk about cycling for 3-6 hours straight with ZERO rest every day for almost 21 days straight, right? How about this: for the next stage, turn off the sound and try providing commentary for 10 minutes straight. See how many non-inane comments you can make while leaving zero dead air time. It's not easy.
    And remember they need to be both filling dead airspace while always being ready to react to what's going on in the race if anything great happens.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I didn't say the job was easy but watch foreign feeds like German TV and German Eurosport, the same for France2 and French Eurosport, the same goes for Italy's RAI plus the Belgian and Dutch channels.

Usually there's none of the ignorance of Duffield, none of the repetitive phrases of Phil and Paul. It's actually a pleasure to watch and to be informed as the race progresses.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    To be fair to eurosport, Harmon did moo with about 50k to go
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Harmon said it himself though, it was like a Vuelta stage, baking hot and no one seemed interested, so the commentators went doolalley
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    TBH, I'd far rather they went doolalley then made up such geographical features as "land locked lakes"!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    "looks like they have been thrown a bone...and it could be a meaty one"

that was a liggertisim from today
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Hey, you do get sea lochs in Scotland, so it's not too far off the mark :wink:
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    did i hear the finish today described as ' a notebook finish ' by someone ?
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Thought it was funny when Sherwen said Saxo bank were chasing down the split (with Cancellara in) because Cancellara was isolated,on his own.
    I thought they were chasing it down because they had no one there for the overal,& a main rival (LA) was in it.
    Come on Paul,I know it's difficult when you're filling in time on a dull stage,but if you're struggling with basic tactics,maybe it's time you stuck with the gold mining business?
    so many cols,so little time!
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    I noticed that there was an aborted Harmonism by Sherwen yesterday: 'he's tapping out the, er, pedals'
  • From the TT on Saturday:

"it's all about time in this time trial Phil"

I was playing Cliche Bingo last night, got a full house :-)
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • fpbr
    fpbr Posts: 5
    donrhummy wrote:
    You guys do realize that these men need to talk about cycling for 3-6 hours straight with ZERO rest every day for almost 21 days straight, right? How about this: for the next stage, turn off the sound and try providing commentary for 10 minutes straight. See how many non-inane comments you can make while leaving zero dead air time. It's not easy.
    And remember they need to be both filling dead airspace while always being ready to react to what's going on in the race if anything great happens.

I agree. Where do these forum crawlers come from? They probably can't even cook breakfast properly, but somehow they know how to do a better job than the top-tier cycling announcers, riders, and staff.

The comments I see flinged around these boards about racing predictions and results boggle my mind.

"I don't expect Lance to do well based on what I saw in the Giro". <--- WTF? LOL. Does the person who said that actually know how cycling works? Obviously not.
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    Flinged!!!??
    That you Paul?