L'eroica - what sort of bike and any tips?

Jimfrandisco
Jimfrandisco Posts: 210
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi - Considering riding the L'eroica route in Tuscany in October this year and debating what bike to use as i know a lot of it is dirt roads. I'm looking at getting a new bike anyway but trying to find out if my wife's basic road bike (Giant SCR 2) with chunkier tyres and rack would be up to the job?
Or would it require a new wheel set to cope with the off-road sections?

Also anyone with general tips or comments on the route - we'll be doing it pretty leisurely and unsupported

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Sorry, no direct experience, but I've been researching Tuscany and the Strade Bianche. Hopefully someone on here has direct experience.

Most of the sites that I've seen recommend an MTB or a hybrid, but that's not to say you can't ride on road bikes.

eroica.jpg

and on the official site:

http://www.eroica.it/galleria_en.php

show people with pretty thin tyres. But they may be tough, or crazy, barstewards.

This guy describes the strade bianche as 'the most pot-holed, rough, uneven, horrible bloody road you have ever ridden on' and adds that ' L’Eroica has some 15 sections of it most uphill totalling about 100km'. But don't let me put you off.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I'm sure I read somewhere that they have now made it mandatory to ride on old bikes, pre 1987?
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Clanton Yep, You're right. My Italian isn't very good, but that's definitely what article three of the french translation of the rules says:
    Les cyclistes doivent se présenter au départ avec exclusivement des vélos « historiques ».
    On appelle vélos « historiques » tous les vélos de course sur route fabriqués avant 1987,avec les leviers de changement de vitesse au tube oblique du cadre (pas au guidon),cale-pieds avec courroies, gaines de freins à l‘extérieur du guidon.

I read Jim F's post as meaning he planned to ride the course of the Eroica - but now rereading it maybe he plans to do the race itself.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Ah - I'd assumed he was wanting to do the race, cause its one I'd love to do myself!
  • Jimfrandisco
    Thanks chaps - just to confirm...not entering the actual race itself - although i plan to once i have the vintage bike built - but this year i just fancy riding the route which is all public access and sign posted.
    So just really trying to work out how much abuse my wife's roadbike will suffer on Tuscany's dirt roads

cheers

Jim
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Hi Jim
    A good friend of mine from Italy who lives in the area has ridden the Eroica a few times, so I asked him if he had any advice (see below). He's a strong rider (competes in Paris-Brest-Paris etc) and knows what he's talking about.
    Hope it helps and good luck...
    Allan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the complete tour of Eroica is very, very hard.
    I think it is better the bike frame made in steel.
    Tires for like off-road (diameter 25 mm) the pressure max 6,5 -7,0 atm .
    Wheel with 36 spokes (more safe)
    Rear gear 28, front gear triple (but depend from the training) The Monte
    Sante Marie climb, is terrible... it is quite difficult stand-up!!!
    If this chap is in good training hi can use the 26 rear gear 34 - 50 front
    gear.
    But its is better the first solution.
    The shoes must be for mountain bike: it is possible hi must do some hundred
    meter of road on foot (depend from his training condition)
    Bon Courage
    Mauro
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • Jimfrandisco
    Thanks rhnb - that's some great info from your the horses mouth...The plan is to ride the course over a couple of days with my wife this time around...so we'll be taking it a little easier than your friend - then maybe look at entering the race itself next year.
    Info about bikes and gear ration very useful though - and as i was considering a steel frame anyway it's good to get that confirmed

Many thanks

Jim
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    No problem Jim - enjoy it - it's brilliant countryside.

Of course once you get that vintage bike built up I trust you'll be doing it on fixed with a flip flop hub - get off at the bottom of the hill - turn the wheel round - climb the hill ;-)

The 'food stops' on the route are 'interesting'. Tressle tables full of cheese, salami, grapes, and the crushed variety in flaggons of red wine. Not a Power Bar in sight ;-) Though perhaps it's changed now - that was going back a few years.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'