wants to start

SUPERSUTT
SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
i need some advise i want to start mtb riding i got my hands on a cheap bike a merlin malt 1 frame with marzocchi Z.5 open bath alloy forks and LX / XTR V brakes plus LX shifters and mechs tioga head set club roost bars . as for the rest its mainly bontrager select wheels , hubs, seat and stem i know its an old bike but what i want to know is it any good as a first bike also is their any where near Chester where i can go off road and learn and meet other riders :oops: ( who wont laught at my old bike ) :oops:
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Any bike is fine to get you started, and that ride of yours sounds like a vintage classic :D

Do you drive? Llandegla's not too far away from Chester, and is a great introduction to trail riding.
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Hi and Welcome!

I go to Delamere Forest. It's pretty easy, but good for practice and getting fitness levels up.
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • SUPERSUTT
    ive heard of Llandegla so whats the rules do i need any head gear . i will get one soon just need to know before i go

• Si78
    It's not the law, but it's advisable to wear a helmet.
  • SUPERSUTT
    reply to si78 so wich bike shop is best to go to in chester or do you get it online

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    reply to si78 so wich bike shop is best to go to in chester or do you get it online

buy a helmet from a shop as a poorly fitting helmet is a worthless helmet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Si78
    Yes, try lots on. Must fit well!

I got mine from Halfords. A Giro fitted me best, but ofcourse every head is different.
  • Anonymous
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    Halford is fine for getting started, but Chesterhas a great shop called "The Edge Cycleworks".
    Unfortunately, it has no connection to U2 :lol:
  • SUPERSUTT
    i used to ride a motoerbike before i got married and had a kid but all that changed

• Si78
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    Halford is fine for getting started, but Chesterhas a great shop called "The Edge Cycleworks".
    Unfortunately, it has no connection to U2 :lol:

Cheers for the recommendation for 'The Edge', good to know there is a good place to go. Used to be a good bike shop in Frodsham street years ago...No idea if it's still there.

I use halfords for basic bits and pieces, and to be fair to them they are very good at ordering any parts you need in.

Other than that I usually buy on-line.

Wasn't too impressed with the bike factory, or specialized concept store...Found them a bit snooty and cliquey.
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    The bike factory and Spesh concept store are run by the same people, they even have a staff door connecting the two shops as they're next door to each other.

The Spesh store does feel like an upmarket boutique, where as the bike factory feels more like a cash 'n' carry, I've been in both and they've seemed friendly enough with me (relative newbie) so I would go there again or recommend to someone else.
  • Si78
    GTi-R23 wrote:
    The bike factory and Spesh concept store are run by the same people, they even have a staff door connecting the two shops as they're next door to each other.

The Spesh store does feel like an upmarket boutique, where as the bike factory feels more like a cash 'n' carry, I've been in both and they've seemed friendly enough with me (relative newbie) so I would go there again or recommend to someone else.

Maybe I'd just gone at a bad time lol
    Won't write them off just yet then :D
  • Anonymous
    Well, I haven't personally been in "the edge" for several years, but I've been told that it IS still there.
  • Si78
    Well, I haven't personally been in "the edge" for several years

Hehehehehehe

Did you used to be a U2 'groupie' lol
  • SUPERSUTT
    ive been in the edge works and they seem freindly enough to me the edge works is now next to the caspein kebab house so its a good place to end a ride hey

• SUPERSUTT
    i know i have an old hard tail bike to start with but when i go fo a new bike what sort will be best for around chester for Llandegla and delamere . is there much climbing to be done at these places

• Si78
    I will try the edge when I need a bike shop :D

Delamere is quite easy, but there are still a few climbs. I sometimes go off the trail and into the forest to make up my own little route. Some good bits to practice on.

Can't comment on Llandegla...Will let you know after saturday!
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    Llandegla has a fair bit of climbing depending on which route you choose, but nothing too extreme as long as you have minimal fitness and take your time.
  • johnnyboy29
    johnnyboy29 Posts: 100
    Alright mate for cycle shops don't forget us up on the wirral cause we've got a cycle surgery tis posh but they're very helpful. there's a few other shops like birkenhead and k's cycles they're all on the money for knowledge and customer service. There's some good learner riding to be had up here too.
    I've ridden llandgela and its brilliant riding my face did go all the shades of red but will definatley go again.
    With regards to a helmet its always better to be safe than sorry. I bought mine from the tint after checking me head size. Mine was £50 cheaper i did go to the lbs first but they couldn't beat the price.
    Si78
    Good luck on Sat 8)
    If you ever fancy a ride up here give us a pm. :D
    In the words of the GLC - Suicide is messy but it's money for free!!!
  • Si78
    Si78
    Good luck on Sat 8)
    If you ever fancy a ride up here give us a pm. :D

Cheers matey :D
    Will PM ya when Ive got some time off. Whats the riding like up in your neck-of-the-woods?
  • johnnyboy29
    johnnyboy29 Posts: 100
    Steady like. Some hills, jumps and a little single track but now i've been to the mighty delga it seems a bit sheehite but its still good practice.
    I fancy a go round delamere so we shall have to sort something out.
    Speak soon matey. :D
    In the words of the GLC - Suicide is messy but it's money for free!!!
  • Si78
    Steady like. Some hills, jumps and a little single track but now i've been to the mighty delga it seems a bit sheehite but its still good practice.
    I fancy a go round delamere so we shall have to sort something out.
    Speak soon matey. :D

cooooooool, looking forward to it!
    My work shutdown is the first 2 weeks of August (I think lol) so hopefully can sort something out then dude, if not earlier!