Sticky shoes for flats - recommendations?

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 61,111
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
I now have some decent flat pedals on the bike so the next obvious thing is to get some decent footwear to replace the manky old trainers I'm currently using :roll: My main criteria are stickiness, comfort, quality/durability and all year round potential a good bonus. Style - well that's personal....

Any good recommendations much appreciated :)

Cheers,
Steve.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    5:10´s
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    5 10s or AM40s if it's got to be really sticky. But I always say that stickiness is just hype for most people, maybe for dh or freeride stuff it's more of an asset when your footing can be quite marginal, but I've never felt any lack of grip from my old Vans. I do have a pair of 5 10s as well, and while they "feel" stickier when you feel for it, ie it's harder to twist your feet or move on the pedal, in practice they don't actually do anything that my Vans don't. So, most of the time I wear the Vans, they're comfier on and off the bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • MrNero50
    MrNero50 Posts: 13
    Another vote for 5:10's, here!
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks Gents, will go Googling....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Vans with a waffle-tread. Accept no substitute!
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Vans with a waffle-tread. Accept no substitute!

What even in the cold wet mud of January? My 5.10 Impact2 Hi haven't done a winter yet but April was wet enough, they resist the wet and muck pretty well AND are really sticky too.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Anonymous
    yep, Vans all year round.
    Where I live, there is no differene between July and January :lol:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Karrimor walking trainers/shoes for me. Waterproof and dirt cheap from a discount sports shop/
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    shimano mp56 or mp66
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    captainfly wrote:
    What even in the cold wet mud of January? My 5.10 Impact2 Hi haven't done a winter yet but April was wet enough, they resist the wet and muck pretty well AND are really sticky too.

Yup, 5 10s are no better in winter than Vans are tbh. The Hi's are a bit better if you stick your foot in deep mud obviously (though high Vans are also available)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks for all the recommendations - only problem now is that I have so many choices :)
  • captainfly
    Northwind wrote:
    captainfly wrote:

Yup, 5 10s are no better in winter than Vans are tbh. The Hi's are a bit better if you stick your foot in deep mud obviously (though high Vans are also available)

Fair enough, I just had a look at the Vans website and they have come a long way from the canvas upper waffle soles I had back in the day for BMX :roll: I just like downhill cloggs these days :wink:
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Vans are also the most comfy shoes I've ever owned. I have freakishly wide feet (should have been a swimmer, but they disqualified me cause they thought i had flippers :lol: ) and find other shoes a very tight fit.
    Oh, and they also last ages. I tend to keep my old pairs of Vans just for riding, and some of them are still going strong after 5 years of faithful service :shock:
  • captainfly
    Funnily enough 5.10s seem better fit for my feet that are pretty much exact width and length dimensions of the standard shoe size. Whereas everything else is too big around the sides :wink:

Not everyone has fat feet and ankles :P
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

• Stevo_666
    Five.Ten Sam Hill Monsters on order 8) . Thanks for the tips lads.