First spectacular off

Flenser
Flenser Posts: 372
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Just got back from a thirteen and three quarter mile ride and my first spectacular off. Judging from the pain I've broken at least one rib. :lol: :x

My own fault and a bloody silly mistake to make.

Come down a hill on road at a rate of knots and needing to make a left turn, signalled left and tried to brake at the same time. Right hand brake is, of course, the front wheel. :lol:

Nearly went over the handlebars, recovered, wobbled a couple of times, clipped the bank next to me, straight over the bars and according to the brother in law I executed a pretty good mid-air forward roll before landing on my left hand side. Bike did a couple of somersaults but is largely unscathed.

Judging from the pain I've broken at least one rib on my left-hand side and it could have been far worse if I hadn't been wearing my lid. My left calf also has a nice bar-end imprint in it and is coming up nicely.

Hope this isn't going to interfere with my rides. :?
Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)

Comments

• 5Thumbs
    5Thumbs Posts: 88
    Oh dear, comiserations!

Unfortunately it happens - important thing is to learn from your mistakes and take comfort form the fact that you weren't badly hurt. First one is always a bit of a shock but your confidence will recover

Those ribs will hurt no doubt and unfortunately whether they are broken or bruised there isn't really any treatment as such. As someone who has had the odd -over- the- bars incident I'd say take plenty of paracetamol and sleep on your back for the next 4 weeks !
  • Flenser
    Cheers for the advise.

Nothing wrong with my confidence but having broken my ribs before I know I'm in for a fun month. Last time I broke them I went from standing to horizontal in a nightclub in one swift movement. Still I never spilled my pint. :lol:

I'd have definitely spilled a pint tonight. :shock: :lol:
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I can understand how you had the off, I have recently 'fixed' my front brake and the extra power continues ot catch me off guard (especially when slowing for a left turn on the road while indicating)

Hope your ribs heal quickly so you can get out again.
  • Flenser
    First time back in the saddle tonight due to the state of my ribs; a quick on-road ten miler to get the old juices flowing.

It feels SOOOOO good to be back in the saddle! 8)
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Wow - quick recovery! I cracked a rib last year and it took a good 6 weeks to feel 'normal' again (ie not making me squeak when I coughed or sneezed!)!

And Hello from another Salisbury rider (well, we ride from Fordingbridge actually but close :wink: ) :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • starkee
    starkee Posts: 143
    mine was not a 'spectacular off' ( i think that is still to come :wink: )

Got my new bike on tuesday, unpacked and fitted SPD's ( never used before ) Had just got home from work so thought i would just have a ride around the garden...... proceeded to do this, no problem, checking myself out in the reflection of the conservatory glass.....

round and round, this is great......... came to a stop near the door, still looking at my reflection as i then realised i had not unclipped and was now laying on the floor with a bruised arm and a sore head :cry:

think i might need to practice more before i let myself loose !!