Bouygues Telecom out end of 2010

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2009 in Pro race
They're ending their sponsorship of the team.
Will try to get someone to take over etc etc.

Cofidis extended to the end of 2010 as well so that'll be 2 French teams down I guess.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Aren't there two new French teams supposed to be coming in next year? I think I read Brailsford saying that in the "Sky will have to get results for a TDF slot" article.

Besides, what about BBox? Bouyges Telecom are only the secondary sponsor these days.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    A shame since they are one of the healthy teams with a strong anti-doping approach but that's cycling, it's always dependent on corporate sponsors. Bouygues will step down but if the team finds a co-sponsor, they will stay on for another year.

afx: Bbox is Bouygues Telecom's broadband service.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Oh, right! I had no idea, thought they were two entirely separate companies. Duh.

But yeah, it'll be a shame if they do go. Everyone loves a plucky little underdog.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Personally, I despise Bouygues Telecom.

Not for their cycling team , I think they're pretty good. But their staff, oh my lord were they inept. Could not do a thing to help their customers one jot. Awful
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Maybe they should look to a Japanese sponsor?
    Otherwise, it would seem an easier pick up option for you know who.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Reasonably confident they'll get a new sponsor, after all they've been Bonjour, Brioches etc and then Bouyges Telecom in recent years, so JR seems to have the knack of picking up new French sponsors. And at least he's got the best part of a year to find one.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Bouygues will quit in five months' time unless a co-sponsor is found. Hard to get a sponsor in the midst of a recession and many sponsors are wary of doping scandals. Ironically this is one of the safest teams around for a sponsor.
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Credit Agricole were also one of the safest teams around and it didn't save them.