Tour de France stage 2 *spolier*

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited July 2009 in Pro race
CAV WINS!11!

Just thought I'd get that out of the way before everyone else.

40 km to go, 4'17" for the front four.

Not much happened so far. A few crashes... Frank Schleck and Moncoutié among the crashees. No DNFs yet.

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I think this break still has a chance...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi
    Nah, Columbia haven't even started chasing yet. Saxo are still riding tempo and the gap has already come down to 3 minutes. No chance.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Break at 2.35 with 33k to go. No chance!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • disgruntledgoat
    Scratch that... have they got off to wait? In the words of the pro cycling manager commentator "now they're riding! And the gap is melting away!"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi
    What are the numbers in brackets after the town names on the TV graphics?
  • disgruntledgoat
    The departement no. I should imagine, the french being an officious bunch, number their counties

@gietvangent
  • Jez mon
    Personally I want Cancellara to go for a flyer!

In other news, earlier today we saw "big" Julian Dean switching bikes and he is no longer the Champion of NZ!
  • afx237vi
    The departement no. I should imagine, the french being an officious bunch, number their counties

Ah, probably. Can't remember seeing that in previous Tours.
  • disgruntledgoat
    New one one on me too. Good for the tourism aspect though.

I love this talk of the dread roundabout 1.2km from the end... we all know nowt will happen

@gietvangent
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    afx237vi wrote:

Yes, definitely, I checked am, when they started. Towns were 06= Alpe Maretimes
    83=Var
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Jez mon
    1 min with 20 k to go.

Think they might have started pulling them back early, there will probably be a few annoying (from the sprinters teams' point of view), if unsuccessful counter attacks.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    afx237vi wrote:

Yes, definitely, I checked am, when they started. Towns were 06= Alpe Maretimes
    83=Var

How sad is it that I knew that? I'm such a geek
  • afx237vi
    Oof, Hutarovich must have had a nasty crash. Ruined his nice new and spangly Belarus champion's jersey.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Highroad: lord knows how I knew it.

Skil getting some men at the front.

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi
    Van Hummel possible top 10. He's having a good year.
  • afx237vi
    Ignatiev. Must be annoyed at himself for missing the hopeless first-day breakaway.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Some good natured joshing of Kelly there! Probably left him thinkong "I've earned that fockin' beer harmen."

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi
    Pozzato's red shorts are horrific :oops: :| Worse than AG2R's!
  • disgruntledgoat
    This has 1st stage pile-up written all over it. 5 teams fighting for the front

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi
    This has 1st stage pile-up written all over it. 5 teams fighting for the front

Yep... and there it is.
  • afx237vi
    LOOOOOOOOOOOONG sprint from Cav! Still wins though.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Cav unopposed. Some immense crashes behind.

@gietvangent
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Get In !!!!! :D:D:D
  • B.I.N.G.O
  • afx237vi
    Blimey, Yuki Arashiro in 5th! Cool.

Good start to the green jersey for Cav as well. No Boonen or Freire anywhere to be seen.
  • looked like 3 - 4 bike length win.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Yawn.

I admit Cavendish is the fastest but it does make the race rather boring. As long as he's near the front he'll win. I was hoping he'd do his usual and fluff the 1'st sprint stage but no...

Columbia obviously harbour absolutely no GC hopes with Freiburg Mick doing a turn on the front.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    EEEASY EEEASY EEEASY!!!

Did u see the slo-mo? He just kept pulling away...
  • disgruntledgoat
    I think all the other sprinters teams got caught up in crash number 2. That's the benefit of controlling the front

@gietvangent
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Good to see Nicholas Roche finish 8th - Tom Boneless nowhere in sight!
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom