Nokia N95 mounted on bike

RockingDad
RockingDad Posts: 239
Morning :) (or afternoon / evening of your reading this post later)

I've just put Nokia sports tracker on my N95 and was looking into mounting on the bike to ensure good GPS locking. Does anyone else mount their phone on their bike for this sort of purpose and if so what do you use? I'm looking at ebay item number 280359171790

Is Nokia sports tracker accurate (i'd probably use my cycle comp to compare but the app offers more tools).

Cheers

RockignDad
2010 Carrera Fury
1992 Raleigh Equipe

Comments

• I bought a mount of eBay for my N95. It is different to the one you are looking at in that is sits on a stalk so is quite a way from the handlebar. I assume this is because it is also meant forfitment on a motorbike and will clear all those cables. But yours looks sturdy enough for your purpose and seems to have a good clamping system. Good value for the money.
    Mine has stood up well but it is so long now since I purchased it I cannot remember where I bought it from, but it was around the same price.
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • RockingDad
    thanks for the reply... have you had any problems with the phone trying to escape the mount?
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    The sports tracker seems to be quite accurate. Results are not too different to my wireless bike computer.

Constantly gives the same distance readings for my regular commute.

I always keep the phone in my rucksack so I doesnt get wet or damaged. Doesnt seem to affect the satellite tracking.
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • RockingDad
    Si78 wrote:
    The sports tracker seems to be quite accurate. Results are not too different to my wireless bike computer.

I always keep the phone in my rucksack so I doesnt get wet or damaged. Doesnt seem to affect the satellite tracking.

May investigate the phone mount tho.

Thats interesting. I would have assumed that if it didn't have a clear view of the sky it would drop in and out of a sat fix and not undertake the calculating it needs to do.

Perhaps I'll try it in my case that I can firmly fix to my belt and see how I get on. I'll likely try one of the bike mounts though as it would be great to see how i'm doing real time.

RockingDad
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    RockingDad wrote:
    Si78 wrote:

May investigate the phone mount tho.

Thats interesting. I would have assumed that if it didn't have a clear view of the sky it would drop in and out of a sat fix and not undertake the calculating it needs to do.

Perhaps I'll try it in my case that I can firmly fix to my belt and see how I get on. I'll likely try one of the bike mounts though as it would be great to see how i'm doing real time.

RockingDad

Yeah I would have thought the same. Maybe the N95 just has a really good reciever? My rucksack pocket is very thin material, so maybe it just doesnt block the signal.

Anyway, whatever the reason, it seems to give regular accurate readings (compared to the bike computer. But how accurate is that??? lol).

Is good when you upload the info to the Nokia site. Can overlay your route on the satellite photo map.
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I keep my Nokia E71 in my Camelbak & it works just fine

I do find the accuracy a little out when the route is overlaid onto Google maps though, maybe it's Camelbak related? Still it's good enough for me & a lot cheaper then a Garmin :D

My routes: http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/user ... o?u=4ndy.B
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • No problems with my mount, RockingDad and I was quite dubious at first. Just make sure the phone is well pushed home.
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • RockingDad
    yeah cheers. I'll perhaps do a mini review in case anyone else wants to get one.

RockingDad
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    I strapped my n95 to the top of my helmet using cable ties as I found it lost signal in my pocket. I also tied it to the front of my bike and took these films with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGGbuJgCRvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwpsMRIu0tA
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    I don't use the internal GPS on my n95, i've got a seperate bluetooth GPS which i keep in my saddle bag. Phone gets kept in my pocket. The onboard GSP is in my experience a bit naff hence buying an external GSP. Use the combination for tomtom too :)

On the two rides i've used it on i've found it to be great, so much so when my contract runs out i'll be keeping it with a payg simcard and will use it for sports tracking duty, replacing my cateye bike computer.

Accuracy wise, i'd say its about 5 meter accurate with my GPS - i expect it depends on the GPS signal your feeding into it. Distance seems spot on giving same output from same ride on different days.

I love it :)
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    I have an N95 but have a problem with Sportstracker in that when I upload my rides I get an 'internal service error' every time. Sometimes I will get a partial upload but have not for a long time managed to upload a full route. I even updated my N95's firmware to the latest level but still nada. My next step I suppose is to do a Sportstracker reinstall but before I do that I thought I would ask here, can anyone assist?
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    Marko1962 wrote:
    I have an N95 but have a problem with Sportstracker in that when I upload my rides I get an 'internal service error' every time. Sometimes I will get a partial upload but have not for a long time managed to upload a full route. I even updated my N95's firmware to the latest level but still nada. My next step I suppose is to do a Sportstracker reinstall but before I do that I thought I would ask here, can anyone assist?

you might find the answer here: http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/general-95/

It used to be called n95users.com but has now merged with nokia users.