Hobbs of Barbican-frame #326

Derek Hagar
Derek Hagar Posts: 3
edited July 2009 in Road general
I have had a Hobbs of Barbican ( frame number 326 )for approx. 25 years.When I was first given it, the bike was fixed wheel with original(?) grass track rims. The frame was originally a white base with red butting and Hobbs of Barbican lettering.I was told by the old owner a vague story of the bike having being ridden in a successful U.K 10 mile time trial when new.( My father had the frame repainted and shimano 10 speed gearing and assorted other upgrades i.e originally it had only a front brake on the fixed wheel which meant I spent a few occassions face planted on the road, being unable to stop when cars or ice on corners dictated I should slow to a more appropriate speed!) As to the truth of that I am not really curious , nor how it ended up in New Zealand, but I am interested in its age and whether it is worth again now attempting to restore it. I have tried to find out as much as I could about the frame number and whether it could be one of the older ones in existance ,but so far I have had no joy. The frame /forks have been semi-stripped and I have been told by a reputable bike shop here in N.Z that it is straight with no damage or cracking. PLEASE IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN OFFER ME ANY WORDS OF WISDOM OR PEARLS OF JOY or should I just bin it. :?: If you can offer me any suggestions or information regarding the age of the frame please feel free to contact me direct at dhagar@nettel.net.nz. I can also e-mail photos to anyone interested. Look forward to hearing from anyone able to help. Thanks.

Comments

• NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Start here...I am sure others on the forum will add their insights, knowledge.

http://freespace.virgin.net/hobbs_of.ba ... index.html

Mervyn Cook may be able to help with dating, model etc...see here

http://freespace.virgin.net/hobbs_of.barbican/vcc.html
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Hi , thanks for the replies. I had tried to contact the Mr Cook about 3 months ago, but have had no reply. I noted the web site was set up in 2002 and quite possibly hasn't had anyone updating for sometime. Perhaps someone reading this knows him or someone else with the ability to verify the model and age of the frame. It has the serial number in raised profile one the bottom of the crank if that is of any help.
  • Streak
    Streak Posts: 163
    Derek,

Based on the years/frame numbers quoted in the VCC link, the average frame production was 253 per year between 1933 and the war 6 years later, assuming this is correct for years before 1933 then I reckon your frame is around 1931. I can't be sure as the production figures may have been much lower before 1933.

Lets see some pics when you have finished restoration, I reckon it's worth doing.

Streak
    I'm not so twp as to not know I'm twp.
    http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/ju ... Patten.htm
  • Aidy40
    Aidy40 Posts: 178
    Hi,

As a member of the VCC I can inform you that Mervyn cook is no longer the Marque enthusiast for Hobbs. He has now passed the role over to Peter Lowry whom you can contact at:
    email@peterlowry.com

I would also be interested in seeing a picture of the frame.

thanks

Aidy
    Aidan Searle