Touring & SPD cleats

AngusG
AngusG Posts: 5
edited August 2009 in Tour & expedition
When I'm touring I like to walk around the towns/sights as well as cycle between them. Which shoes would people recommend with a deep inset for SPD cleats so I don't sound like My Little Pony clip-clopping around on foot, please?

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I like Specialized or Pearl Izumi.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Shimano mt90
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Sidi mtb shoes.

Look and feel more like touring shoes.

Way more comfortable than Shimano. More expensive as well though, natch.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Shimano MT90's are brilliant if you are in cold climes are want to do serious trekking. Shimano cycling sandals are very good for hot climes, although they can be a little sweaty without socks and you can end up with lots of gritty mud shoved up your toenail if cycling in certain conditions.

The Northwave Bike/Walk range is very good too, they range from very lightweight shoes to hiking boots. The pair I have though are a bit of a funny size, they seem to be made for quite broad feet.
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Or just pack a pair of flip flops?
  • pat_h
    pat_h Posts: 34
    Have a pair of Shimano MT41s, nice comfy and look more like hiking shoes than cycling shoes.
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    I have a pair of Scotts which have lasted longer than my old Specialized and Shimano shoes. I have used them MTBing and touring and commuting and they have been excellent.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    Listen to others, but IMO a good way to choose a new pair is to get to some bike shops and try on their offerings. I did this and found that many were too narrow; the ones that were (and still are) very comfortable were Pearl Izumi and so I bought them.
    T Farr
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I have 2 pairs of Carnac shoes (old and older) which I find comfortable and I have a wide foot but I doubt if whatever the models I have are still manufactured. What I can recommend for warm weather is Sidi SPD sandals. It's the choice of both my wife and me whenever the weather's suitable and they dry quickly if you get any (warm) rain :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I went for some of these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=32866

The sole's not as stiff as normal road shoes, but are great to walk in. Have done week long tours (100km+/day) with just these and got on fine.
    exercise.png
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I did another week in scotland recently and walked about in these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Exust ... 360041403/

Which are light and fairly stiff, so good for cycling, and rather more like 1965 football boots than their picture suggests. But a pair of very light trainers are more comfortable if you want to do much walking and they add little to your luggage unless you are really going light.
    practically all cycling shoes make my feet ache a bit after a mile or two.
    Decathlon have some very light and cheap.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • AngusG
    Thank you all for your suggestions.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    These Exustar Stelvios have the deepest cleat recess of the shoes I've tried.
    The recess on most shoes is deep enough to keep the cleat off the ground when the shoes are newish. The cleats generally start to touch down when the shoe tread wears down a bit.
  • AngusG
    Are those the 2009 version? The earlier models looked just like that but they look a lot flatter for this year's version?