Shimano Centre Lock and Hope Floating rotors

CraneFitter
CraneFitter Posts: 50
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Has anyone combined these two before? Obviously going to require the shimano centre lock to 6 bolt adaptor, but does it fit correctly? Failing that, anyone done this with another centre lock adaptor? Hoping to put all this onto mavic hubs with centrelock on a recon race fork. Ideally going to use the tech M4's but possibly V2's.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the spline to 6 bolt adaptors work fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yeah should be fine the floating rotors fit just like any other six bolt rotor. chaeck that your gear shifters will fit with the tech levers first, they're a bit bigger than the mini levers and can obstruct. xt and xtr with removable window is fine but others may cause problems. have a look at the mini x2 pro in gunmetal with carbon levers and titanium bolts. very cool, very light, and much smaller levers.
    bit off topic there sorry!

ed
  • Thanks for that. They'd be sitting next so shimano SLX shifters, so might have a issue, will just have to play when I order the tech's. The mini pro's do look good, but would be a little concerned over stopping power for a 100kg bloke, plus big and my lunch ;o) If anyone has used them then would be exteremely interested to hear what you've got to say! Maybe up the rotor sizes?
  • Yeah may be a bit small. I've just fitted tech x2s to my bike and I'm chugged with them. You'll be fine with slx shifters too, the windows can be removed. Hope also sell a replacement mount for the tech lever that lets you bolt the shifters straight to the mount, meaning you can get better positioning and only have one clamp on the bars which looks neater and pretty cool. Just bear in mind that floating rotors in 180mm don't fit a lot of fox forks, in case you were planning on changing your rebas any time soon.

Ed
  • Bit the bullet and ordered some tech m4's, 'should' be here tuesday. Gone for the A2Z centrelock adaptors, as having had a look at the 183mm rotor and shimano's own centre lock adaptor, I'm not sure you'll get it on, but the 160mm floater looks like it will fit. I'll be letting you know for sure! Could be an expensive experiment, but I hope not. Will see how it all goes together on the bar, might take the windows off, and going to look into the hope mount adaptor, any idea of cost?
  • RC76
    RC76 Posts: 16
    Just bought Tech X2 brakes with 183mm floating rotors and I have XT centre lock hubs. Did the A2Z adaptor work for you?

The Hope Matchmaker clamps are in stock at ChainReaction at the moment if you haven't found them yet. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41014
  • The A2Z adaptors do work with some adjustments! You'll find a recess about 1.5mm deep on the rear of the floating rotor, this will prevent the adaptor from sitting flush to the rotor. You can overcome this by filing a 45degree taper onto the arms of the A2Z adaptor which will allow the adaptor to sit into the recess. What I suggest is that you take off a little more so that there is room to allow the rotor to move a little and nothing will prevent it from sitting square. The other tip is the adaptor uses grub screws preset into the body, these are a smaller diameter than the rotor holes, so turn the rotor in the direction of breaking as you tighten the lock ring, this will prevent any radial misalignment. With a little thought and care it all sets up perfectly.

I have been having an issue with the rear rotor running out of true, it rubs all the time like its got a bend in it. Yet when I measure it there's on 0.1mm out of true, hardly going to cause the issue! Calipers are aligned perfectly and pads centralised perfectly, yet there is stil that 'tisk' 'tisk' sound. The front has been utterly perfect though. Going to give it another ride before I call hope, then it'll have had pleanty of time to settle in.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    CraneFitter
    check the bearings.

is the tsk tsk with the hub loaded or not? (in the bike stand or in use?)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Probably ought to add I'm on 183mm floaters front and rear. I don't think the 160mm floater has the recess like the 183mm so you won't have to file anything off. Might be wrong but seem to remember the two floaters being slightly different.

Will those matchmaker clamps take the shimano levers? Doesn't say anything about it!
  • the noise is defo from the brakes, remove the pads and no noise at all. The noise is constant, wether riding the bike or not. Have to admit its really been bugging me. I've done pretty much everything I can think of and I've read every tip I can about setting them up. Nearly at the point of going to a shop and asking what they reckon, but don't want to end up with a bill for things I already know
  • RC76
    RC76 Posts: 16
    Thanks for the advice. I haven't bought the rotors yet so I may stay away from floating until I can buy new wheels.

From http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php?plid=m8b33s456p582 clamps are compatible with

- 08/09 XT
    - 09 Saint
    - 09 SLX

I have 08 XT shifters but I haven't installed the brakes yet because I don't have the centre lock adapters.
  • If I could then I'd get rid of the wheels and go to 6 bolt hubs! Not totally happy with the setup but it works, except for the back brake rub! Stay away from the adaptors that aren't symmetrical (like some cheaper ones with an additional locking screw to clamp the centrelock splines) as you won't be able to file enough off. Standard rotors will be fine though.

Cheers for the link, once the bits in the classifieds sell I'll have some on order. Been looking for them!
  • Hi ive been looking into the hope evo 4 brakes and iam running almoast the same kit as you for what is concerned its all slx with centre lock hubs.can you tell me how you got on with fitting them and what in total did you need to do it please? im running 180mm at the front and 160mm rear.the front caliper using a 183 rotor is a fly move from hope,obviously meaning you have to buy a 183mm hope rotor.did you use the extra clamps for clearence?.and how good are they performance and weight wise to your original kit?.thanks in advance for any info.the evo 4 special edition in those colours would finish my felt off a treat.cheers :D