Protein Shakes and CLA

ExeterSimon
ExeterSimon Posts: 830
Does anyone supplement a meal or two a day with whey powder protein shakes? If so is this an effective weight loss program? I've heard differing stories...

Also...CLA. Anyone go any experience of this stuff doing what its claimed to do?
Whyte 905 (2009)
Trek 1.5 (2009)
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)

Comments

• protein - yes
    cla - tried it.

I suppose it really depends on where you are currently and what you do.

If you are already in great shape and are working the weights regulary and are eating a healthy balanced diet and able to get in all the protein you need at the right times from your food then you dont need anything else.

If you find you cant get the protein in at the right times then use a protein shake.

If you are perhaps overweight and seeking to lose the weight and get fitter then 'Eat Less, Move More'. That will have a more dramatic effect than anything else you could do.
    CLA can possibly help with weight loss but its not really noticeable compared to ensuring you have the right diet and exercise.

L-glutamine can come in handy for minimising recovery time but some people have reported upset stomachs. You could try this seperately to be on the safe side or a protein with this added.
  • Gobs
    Gobs Posts: 296
    If you can stick to it the Velocity Diet from T-Nation works wonders. But you've got to have some serious dedication to stick to it

Have a nosy
    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_prog ... ty_diet_30
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Cheers guys..I've lost 3 stone but still want lose a bit more fat but also tone up.

Having a 1 year old pretty much means that I can only get out twice a week for 3-5 hour rides. I also commute to work 3 times a week but it's only a short distance of around 5 miles..but I do try and do this as quickly as possible and as hard as I can.

I've ordered some CLA and wil get stuck into that when it arrives.

I'm not overly keen to protein shakes if they are not needed. I've heard stories of some people over doing the shakes and putting on a few stone.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Not on protein shakes you wont.
    You are probably thinking about the mass building shakes loaded with carbs and lots and lots of calories. Protein shakes are only about 100cal for about 20g of protein which is generally all you need post workout when you dont have time to cook a chicken breast.
  • Langers
    Langers Posts: 95
    I try to have amino acids between meals and supplement my breakfast with 10 whey the morning after a race/ride.

For recovery I have Pro Recover straight after exercise.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i take protein shakes either after i do weights or the morning after a hard cv or weights session including mtbing, i have it as a supplement not a meal replacement tho.
    whey protein is the best as it has the best absorbtion rate by your body.
    not tried cla tho
    to speed up your metabolism eat smaller meals but more frequently, like every 3 hours, this will help you lose weight along with exercise.
    good luck man
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    I tried some CLA from myprotein, can't say I found it massively beneficial (took it over a 2-3 month period).

What I did find though, was if I took CLA before eating, and then delayed eating, I would feel very sick. As long as I took it just before eating all was fine. I think this is something to do with the fact it is an acid (conjugated linoleic acid), and it was the acid upsetting my stomach.