Training speed vs TT speed

Fair_Weather_Flyer
edited July 2009 in Amateur race
After a couple of years of road bike riding, just for the love of it I'm planning on entering my first TT. I'm curious as to what speed you guys train at compared to the speed you TT at. I know that this can depend on many different environmental factors, not to mention the bike. At present, I tend to average between 18.5-20.5 over a 25 mile training ride, as measured by my Garmin Edge. This is on a standard steel road bike with no aero kit. What kind of pace would you guess I'd be doing a 10 or 25 mile TT in? I spoke to a top vet TT'er a little while back. He told me he'd just been on a training ride and averaged about 17mph over 50 miles which surprised me considering he can do a sub 4hr 100 mile.

I know that this post is similar to the many "what is a good time for a newbie" post that I've found with the search function. I do hope that the subtle difference makes it worth a few answers!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you can do a sub 4hr 100 miler then you are at top national level! ;)

It's difficult to judge on speed due to all the different factors, it is better to go by, if you don't have a power meter or Heart rate monitor, perceived exertion.

I would guess with the kit you suggested you would be looking at managing at least a 25 in a 10 miler and about 1hr 05 to maybe 1hr for a 25. (Complete guesswork!)

However, I'm sure you already know the best way to find out...
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    It's pretty much impossible to tell how fast people will go in a race compared to training rides.

This subject comes up on the TT forum (http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/) from time to time and most people do similar speeds to you in training, but this covers a wide range of people that can only touch 25mph av in races on a very good day (like me) right up to people that can do 30mph av and over regularly.

Get a number on your back and you'll find out what you can do :wink:

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    nmcgann wrote:
    Get a number on your back and you'll find out what you can do :wink:

Neil

this.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I used to do a lot of TTs just over a decade ago, without aero gear, and in the TT I could usually get 3-4 extra mph compared to my TT training pace. My TT training was usually the same course and length as the actual TT.
    Compared to my general cycling training, my competition TT speed was 9-10 mph more. But all the TTs were short, compared to those of your veteran, usually 10 mile, while my general training was 25-75 miles.
    I don't recommend using my info as a guide to how to train, because my TT speeds along flattish courses usually put me about next to last in a field of 10-20 riders; and the winners usually rode at speeds 20% faster than I did.
    (On hill climb TTs, it was a different matter, and I'd get my own back on good half the field!)