Bike pump on tour

suffolk rider
suffolk rider Posts: 103
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
I have heard that some airlines insist that tyres are (at least partially) deflated before flying. Not sure how they can check that if the wheels are safely inside a container, but if that is the case, can anyone advise me from their experience what sort of pump it is best to take? I suppose a large track pump could be put back in the bike bag and left until pick-up, or will an ordinary portable pump suffice to put enough pressure in the tyres?

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I take a frame pump, Zefal HPX. I can never get the pressure up high enough with a mini pump.
  • I did wonder. Thanks.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Airlines are requiring this less often now, it actually makes no sense. My last flight was with Easyjet to Pisa, no issue leaving Bristol, but on return the check in person says I should deflate the tyres, I (boldly) said there was no need, and that was that.

Nevertheless, you need a good pump on tour, I use a Topeak Turbo Morph, this is one of the few that will get to road pressures with minimal effort, it is like a mini track pump. Includes a gauge too. Have used the Road Morph and the Cyclaire successfully also. Zefal HPX is probably good, never used one so I can't compare.
  • pompeypoppy
    pompeypoppy Posts: 182
    Don't know how much of an impact this could have, but by flying wouldn't there be a potential for increase in pressure in the air? If you have pumped your tyres to the limit there may be a chance that they blow.

Obviously wont cause damage to anything else, but would be a pain in the arse for yourselves.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    if you fly from here to the moon in an unpressurised aeroplane such as a sopwith camel the relative tyre pressure will go up by 15psi. My tyres are always between 70 and 120psi depending on type and are always rated far above that. 15psi will make no difference .

Most of the airports now do not require you to deflate, but East Midlands made me do it last year because the bloke did not know much . I do not argue with security people, you never know what they might do next.

TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    a good reply to 'have the tyres been deflated ?' might be ' oh, yes, to lower than 20psi below their maximum pressure'.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    priory wrote:
    a good reply to 'have the tyres been deflated ?' might be ' oh, yes, to lower than 20psi below their maximum pressure'.
    or just say "yes".

The hold in aircraft are pressurised the same as the cabin, they might reach a low of 0.85 atmospheres, on a tyre pumped to 100psi that would make it 117psi.Well within limits.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    +1 for the Turbo Morph.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed