Spean Bridge- natural trails in the Highlands

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited July 2009 in Routes
Hi. I'm off to Spean bridge (near'ish to Fort William) soon and hope to so cross country/trail riding when I'm up there. I'm not interested in down hilling and prefer natural stuff. I know about the Wolftrax. I'll have an OS map but does anybody have any recommendations? Am a fairly fit & experienced rider. Thanks.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    If you want something steady follow the Great Glen Way North towards Invergarry and then Fort Augustas.IIRC sections have separate walkers/bikers bits.
  • passout
    Did a 50 mile loop from fort bill to Kinlocheven on an old drovers road and back on the west highland way - fantastic. Thanks to Bothy bikes up there for the route.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • joesteve
    joesteve Posts: 21
    I've done a multi day trip up there. From Spean Bridge take the Great Glen way to Fort Augustus then go over the Corrieyairack pass. After the Corrieyairack pass turn right at Glenshiro Lodge and go over to the main A86 road. Take a left on the main raod and then a right at Kinloch Rannoch and you are into the estate where they filmed Monarch of the Glen. Either stick to the side of Loch Laggan and pass the big house at Ardverikie or go up into the forest and along the side of Lochan na H -earba before dropping down to Tulloch Station. Continue west on the A86 for a few miles before turning left just before the Glen Spean Lodge Hotel to pick up more off road trails and a wooden suspension bridge over spectacular water falls on the River Spean. Continue on the south side of the the river and back into Spean bridge. I did this with my wife over 3 fairly easy days staying in Spean Bridge and Laggan. Spectacular scenery. Corrieyarrick pass is very rough with lots of loose rocks and water errosion but other than that the route is fairly straightforward.

There is also a path marked on the map from Melgerve ,once you cross the Corrieyark pass, back to Glen Roy which was in an MTB mag years ago. I believe this is very indistinct and quite boggy in places but links up with Glen Roy. This would give you a big single day loop from Spean Bridge.
  • passout
    If Corrieyark pass is part of General Wades Road and is 'snake shaped' then I've done about 2 decades ago - I seem to remember an excellent ride! Above ride sounds excellent overall.