Best Bar bags for Shimano set up?

Rhods
Rhods Posts: 400
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi

Following on from the thread discussing panniers on a road bike, I thought I'd ask this question.

I intend taking either a Carradice Tour SQR or one of the similar bags on a seat post of equivalent size and am also thinking a bar bag would be a good idea. However, I've heard that some aren't great with Shimano levers because of the position of the cables. I've got Tiagra shifters, does anyone have any info on the best bags to use?

Many thanks

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    My g/f has an Ortlieb Classic bar bag and had Sora shifters. The cables were okay, they just get pushed down a bit, but the bag did interfere with the left hand shifter as it required quite a large angle of push to shift. I upgraded her to Ultegra shifters (as I was making her bike 9 speed) and these shifters needed a smaller angle and the problem was resolved. As for the cables, you can buy new cables and outers and fit them with a longer run of outer so they loop more comfortably around or under the bag.
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Thanks alfa

Will keep an eye out for the Ortlieb Classic then. Cables are only a few months old, so would rather keep them in for a while (don't particularly fancy the job at the moment!). As long as the gears shift, I'll be happy!

Thanks again
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    Regardless of type of bag, I can recommend this, as I think it is excellent. Just attach the bag in the normal way.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cid/TSQVIAQKY1UYHBCAOWR9XG2ZABBQI2JU/product-Thorn-Thorn-Accessory-Bar-T-Shaped-105-mm-Extension-11040.htm

I use it with my flat bars to keep the bars free for lights, computer etc. is well clear of cables. Needs a decent length of steerer tube.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Ortlieb also do an extension for mounting the bar bag

ortlieb%20extension%20ul4.jpg

About £7 I think. Didn't need it on g/f's bike though.