Did Nevis Red

Lizzie77
Lizzie77 Posts: 53
edited January 2011 in Routes
It opened on the 24th and we were there on the 28th!!!!!

I did it and so did Hubby. :D

Its harsh but fun, steap and scary,especially on a HT. :shock: :shock:

We will be going back, SOON!!!!!!! :P
Specialized XC Comp
Specialized Pitch Pro

Comments

• Lizzie77
    There is alot of slab rock to go down about half way round. Many people were doing stunts over the handel bars at this point. :? I will be honest, I pushed at this section. Hubby took the plunge tho and made it.

The boardwalk is well fast and has some interesting turns and jumps in it, especially as it bends tightly around the egdge of the sticky out rocky bit, I did do some sweating at this point!!

Towards the end its dirt track, again very twisty and turny with a small rocky stream to cross.

Its a bloody hard challenge, but pleased to say I have been and done it.

Its a harsh red tho. Many people we spoke to said it was harder than the video looks and is far more black than red. Others who had done the downhill said that there wasnt a deal of difference.
    Specialized XC Comp
    Specialized Pitch Pro
  • Lizzie77
    Is no one a little bit intrested in this. I see your all looking but no comments????

Im shocked!!!

Its brand new and none of you care :cry:
    Specialized XC Comp
    Specialized Pitch Pro
  • ji_
    ji_ Posts: 38
    Thanks for the review. I would love to try it, but Fort William is a bit of a trek for me. I am also OK with (some) black runs, which is what this looks like!

Well done for doing it.
    www.louthnet.com/LAMB - Louth Area Mountain Bikers
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm hoping to get up there in August, do some of the XC and have a couple of pops at the new lift-assist... Not really sure what to expect, it doesn't look that tough on video but then, video's not very reliable for this sort fo thing. So I guess I'll just wing it :lol: Have you got any comparisons with, say, innerleithen red or the tough bits of GT black? Just to give me a bit of a benchmark...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • it's miles harder than anything at Glentress, and nothing on the Innerleithen XC course has the difficulty level either. There are some sustained and techincal rock sections, which are possibly fairly straightforward, but with minimal margain for error, and given how steep and constant it is, if you fell you could keep going for a while in places!
  • Northwind
    That's just how I felt about it too. I think my exact words, to a guy I found basically stuck and terrified halfway down, was "RED MY ****ING A**E". But it's still ace :lol: I think if I'd not done secrets and lies and brown trout at glentress- which are sort of similiar- I'd just not have known what to do. Amazing trail though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Ive been back and re done it a few times since my original post and it is a tricky run to say the least.

And as someone said Red my F*cking a*se. Its true, the vidoe's dont give you any idea of the technical rock and the sheer slopes and drops. Its a definate bum clencher but fun all the same. Did it 4 times when I last went in June and will be going againt this year, question is will I do the next one up?????

Last year was on my Spech XC, this year I will test out my Spesh Pitch pro, should make it alot smoother :?:

Whilst on the track I came across many people who are used to such as Mabie red, Ae ect and were on hard tails struggling. I ttried it on a hard tail first time around and hated it, only did it once and pushed most of it.
    Specialized XC Comp
    Specialized Pitch Pro
  • Northwind
    Aye, we got up again in July, I think it was, with a bit of a mixed abilities group. So I spent the 2 months before putting the fear of god into them, and as a result we only had to make one trip to hospital, after one of the team rode into the river :lol: I had the big bike this time after using the Soul last time round, not sure I'd say it was better but it was very different on a longish travel full suss.

I did knock off a very slow run down the wc route too, it's not so drastically harder than the red I thought. Though I'd do the red on an XC hardtail, not sure I'd fancy the wc route on one. Definately not for everyone!

I noticed they'd done some detail work, filled in a couple of wheel traps and sorted out that one really crap corner in the middle of the boardwalk, moved some rocks around... And the new section's finished as well now apparently though they were still building it when we were there.

Will definately be doing it again, one of my favourite trails. Not all my mates were so enthused though :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    You shcots have such a good life down there. To southern soul it works out cheaper to go to Andorra for 3-4 days than Scotland. Does that Nevis red reminds Laggan's black or is it gnarlier? Still you people are so lucky.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Northwind
    Mmm, yes and no. Some bits are similiar but the red rides more like a normal trail, there's more stuff going on unlike laggan where it's just feature-link-feature. Laggan to me feels more like a series of tests. Nevis red is much more of a constant challenge, the biggest stuff isn't as big but there's not much respite.

I think the best comparisons I've found, in places it's a bit like McMoab tilted on its side, and in others it's a bit like the Beast at Coed y Brenin except harder, steeper and with much bigger rocks. But yep, in some parts it's a lot like laggan as well. Back and crack (but not sack) attack are probably pretty representative, and the devil's chessboard- though again steeper at nevis.

But that's all just my impression i guess, I love big rocks * so that's what I focus on a bit at nevis, there's other stuff too.

(* and I cannot lie)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    So that works out like Laggan blacks mixed with Penmachno +throw in some steeper slabs (Surrey Hills style). Awesome.

I must however pay a visit to Glencoe though. Just to tick boxes in Gnarly books.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though