Road paint

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Does anyone know what type of paint is best for using on the road?

Going to the Tour again this year and want to leave my mark on the Tourmalet :-)

Comments

• ronthechef
    ronthechef Posts: 943
    Brilliant white gloss!!!!! only problem is getting it up there, Normally the pissed up dutch guys are a good bet for some free paint,,, they tend to favour the water based paints
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Nike are using chalk http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12633978

Last year on Alpe d'Huez I saw everything from chalk, to spray paint, to traditional paint brush and tin, to full on paint rollers (used particularly a lot on the Dutch bend 7 from what I saw :D)

Hope that helps and have a good one, I'll be adorning the roads on stages 17 and 18 :D
  • Anonymous
    Cheers. Anything goes, then! I'm going for a big green CAV or two (but probably more!)

I've never bought paint in a foreign country before! lol

Is it advisable to wait until after dark, or is it legal?
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    It's part of Tour tradition - a great spontaneous gesture of support by the public so I suppose it's entirely typical that corporate America have tried to co-opt it :roll:

Weren't there a lot of issues with the chalk at the ToC - dust causing problems for riders and spactators?
  • sonny73
    micron wrote:
    It's part of Tour tradition - a great spontaneous gesture of support by the public so I suppose it's entirely typical that corporate America have tried to co-opt it :roll:

Weren't there a lot of issues with the chalk at the ToC - dust causing problems for riders and spactators?

Must say that did enter my mind too, although I do believe they only have a small section of road to use. Otherwise it'd be a right pee take them plastering the traditional spots where the spectators usually paint, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Also +1 on the ToC issues, there was one stage I recall that finished with a bunch sprint in a cloud of yellow dust, can't be good to ride in and pony for tv I guess if there where that much of it and the chalkbot appears to be able to print a lot.

Still I do think it's a cool idea as long as they don't overdo it, we shall see.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Please don't use gloss paint purely from the fact that somebody might want to ride down the road in the wet!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Please don't use gloss paint purely from the fact that somebody might want to ride down the road in the wet!

That thought did cross my mind as well
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • micron
    What I love about the paint on the road is that you come across it years after the event in all kinds of places - love turning a corner on my holidays and finding myself driving over Fignon and Hinault :wink:
  • sonny73
    Monty Dog wrote:

Good point.
  • As others have said, please use water based paints, which is what most people use.

Fools like me have cycled bits of the route on the day and it spatters the frame. Water-based stuff is a nice souvenir. Oil-based paint would be much less fun.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    micron wrote:
    What I love about the paint on the road is that you come across it years after the event in all kinds of places - love turning a corner on my holidays and finding myself driving over Fignon and Hinault :wink:

Yes, I've found an ”INDURAIN” and a “DELGADO” while on touring holidays -- had to stop and take snaps. And a very weather-beaten "…ntani” one time on Mt Ventoux -- its eroded form seeming rather symbolic of that rider's decline and a reminder of the brief and ephemeral nature of success in this sport.

These moments are like discovering the archaeological remains of some great ancient battle -- well, in a way they are.

:D

I have to say I got a bit obsessed by it all and have built up an archive over the years, specifically photographing many of the top names since 1998.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Rapha are going to be doing a limited edition 'Strada' paint. It's manufactured by Farrow and Ball and will come in 4 Heritage colours.

I got the email yesterday - I think it's going to be ready to buy in a week. They've had problems getting hold of lapis lazuli to make the ultramarine pigment for the 'Azzura' version.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I've always wanted to write 'Moan the Fish' on the road. Very obscure but I can't get it out of my head.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got a team ob men outside my flat 'painting' the approaches to some traffic lights with tar and coloured chippings. Shall I ask if they can do Mt Ventoux with Cavendish?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Anonymous
    redvee wrote:
    I've got a team ob men outside my flat 'painting' the approaches to some traffic lights with tar and coloured chippings. Shall I ask if they can do Mt Ventoux with Cavendish?

LOL - yes!

Cheers for info everyone, I'll go for Matt paint (is it still called that?). Must learn the French for "paint" before my trip to le hardware store!
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Whatever you do, DON'T tell them you're an artist!
  • micron
    peinture mat or peinture a l'eau is what you're looking for at Mr Bricolage or Bricomarche (Bricolage = DIY)
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    I'll be doing a bit of painting myself. My mate and I are going to the Ventoux... We have massive stencils made already and will be picking up the rollers and paint on the way... We were considering spray guns but it truned out to be too expensive....
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Anonymous
    Rapha are going to be doing a limited edition 'Strada' paint. It's manufactured by Farrow and Ball and will come in 4 Heritage colours.

I got the email yesterday - I think it's going to be ready to buy in a week. They've had problems getting hold of lapis lazuli to make the ultramarine pigment for the 'Azzura' version.

My god man, that is almost believable!
    :lol:
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Look at this load of sh*te: http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/livestrong ... k_messages

I know what message I'll be sending to the chalk bot
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    NapoleonD wrote:

My god man, that is almost believable!
    :lol:

Perhaps I should get a job in their marketing department!
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Anonymous
    emadden wrote:
    I'll be doing a bit of painting myself. My mate and I are going to the Ventoux... We have massive stencils made already and will be picking up the rollers and paint on the way... We were considering spray guns but it truned out to be too expensive....

I'm going freehand. Taking hand baggage only, so stencils would be a struggle (and far too serious for me!)