buying spd cleat bolts

MarjMJ
MarjMJ Posts: 35
edited September 2010 in MTB general
I have lost one of my cleat bolts from my SM-SH51 cleats. My LBS tells me I can only get cleat sets, not bolts..., Have done a t'interweb search and can only find US sites, so am wondering if anyone knows of UK suppliers.

ta

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    take one of you other ones to a bolt shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mikeage
    mikeage Posts: 150
    ebay - 'm5 countersunk allen' and you should get plenty of results, was looking for some the other day and had the same problem as you.

also, think the standard bolts are 10mm length, so M5x10mm will be sound, though longer ones can be cut down.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    speaking of cleat bolts, anyone have good suggestions to stop the allen hole being rounded off just walking around in them?

Had to drill the last set out because i couldn't get any purchase in them because none of the tools would fit! Fortunately because they were greased getting the last bit out was a doddle!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    www.stagonset.co.uk have M5 Socket Head Countersunk Screws 10mm for £0.09 each.
  • nicklouse
    alfablue
    10mm should be OK shimano ones are 11.5mm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    speaking of cleat bolts, anyone have good suggestions to stop the allen hole being rounded off just walking around in them?

Had to drill the last set out because i couldn't get any purchase in them because none of the tools would fit! Fortunately because they were greased getting the last bit out was a doddle!

if you are wearing then down that far i am surprised that they stayed on the shoe.

most of the time the compacted dirt has not been removed out of the hex hole.

i have still got about 2.5mm to insert the allen key. if you wore them down so there was,say, 1.5mm left the top (bolt head end) clamping washer would be in bits!
  • alfablue
    nicklouse wrote:
    alfablue
    Ah, they do 10 or 12mm, maybe 12 would be better.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Nick, you misunderstood what happened, i don't think i was clear!

Basically the action of walking seemed to close the entrance to the hole...

Neither imperial or metric allen keys would fit and i had cleaned it out...
  • nicklouse
    you must walk strangely :wink:

never ever had a problem getting an allen key into a cleat bolt yet.

bet i have problems later this month.

but if they look iffy i use one of the allen bits and a hammer.
  • MarjMJ
    MarjMJ Posts: 35
    cheers mikeage and alfablue. Nice Yorkshire practical advice from nicklouse :lol: .

[Edit]. Jeez - just checked out the Stagonset page - this is truly another world, where girlies tread with awe... :shock: :lol:
  • Joe86
    Joe86 Posts: 180
    alfablue wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    alfablue

How did you find the 12s? I have to get a few, and I'm stuck on what size to get, 10 or 12 mm. I have Onza pedals, not sure on the model, but they are orange and black, but I couldn't find an answer on the size they are.

Cheers
  • alfablue
    Joe86 wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    alfablue

How did you find the 12s? I have to get a few, and I'm stuck on what size to get, 10 or 12 mm. I have Onza pedals, not sure on the model, but they are orange and black, but I couldn't find an answer on the size they are.

Cheers
    Sorry, I haven't actually bought any, but they are just pence so you could buy both sizes, or get longer and Dremmel down if necessary.

www.stagonset.co.uk
  • Website down with cryptic message...

Surprise, surprise also lost cleat bolt last night and found this through Google...
  • 12mm are fine,
    i got mine from ebay,
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M5-X-12-COUNTERSU ... 439bd95942

have put a load in my saddle bag just incase!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • 12mm are fine,
    i got mine from ebay,
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M5-X-12-COUNTERSU ... 439bd95942

have put a load in my saddle bag just incase!

Good tip. Thanks.

Have already visited Halfords for some loctite to hopefully avoid losing any more of these...

Two gone in the last few months... :(

N