Do you wash before you go cycling/commuting?

2»

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I never wash. I do however smear goose grease all over before being sewn into my red flannel combinations over the winter. As my dad used to say 'When that's thick enough that falls off like it do off a tater'
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Personally, yes I do. Always.

It's people like you that there's a world wide a water shortage. :shock:

When I was a lad ............ , we washed once a week , ... with a block of coal from the coal bunker , on our birthdays ... we were allowed to wash the coal in the local stream first ..... and it never did me any harm . :roll:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Each to their own.

Well indeed :lol:
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Yes have to as the showers are work are at the other end of the building which on a late shift is a pain in the arse as that end of the building is alarmed at night, thus no shower!
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

I also don't re-wear anything that sits next to my skin, so shorts, jersey, sports bra. One day is enough. Yes, you're right, I do a lot of laundry and have a lot of cycling kit. And yes, it is probably wearing it out faster. I like to be clean, OK?

Well no, no its not OK if you're asking. :wink:

Lol. Actually it is OK and I agree with you, I have a weeks worth of commuting clothing and now am building up my weekend clothing kit.

If I had a shower at work, I might wash after I commuted. But.... I dunno, I still be tempted to shower before as well... :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Is it bad that I have more cycling kit than normal clothes? Am I obsessed?

Oh, SCR god, forgive me for I have sinned: it has been 3 weeks since my last wiggle.

Edit: hmmm, might move this to the troll thread
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I shower after exercise twice a day. If I didn't have a shower at work, I might well shower in the morning before I got on the bike. But I do.

Two pairs of socks per day - one for the bike, one for the office. I don't think cycling socks are a good look with a suit.

I (somewhat contraversially it seems) shave at work. Sweating heavily on freshly shaved skin gives me a rash. Also the shower softens my stubble.

All of this seems very obvious, no? I can understand that if you lack showers at work you have to resort to wierd alternatives. :lol:

J
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Apparently there are showers in my office - but I haven't managed to find them yet. The situation is becoming urgent. I have to sponge myself down in the toilet sink at the moment. :?
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    By the way DDD
    building up a hell of a lot bacteria in the process

talk me through how exercise "builds bacteria". I know that sweat provides a good medium for bacteria to grow but you don't actually build bacteria in the process of sweating. You just need to get rid of the sweat afterwards.

J
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    JonGinge wrote:
    Is it bad that I have more cycling kit than normal clothes? Am I obsessed?

Oh, SCR god, forgive me for I have sinned: it has been 3 weeks since my last wiggle.

Edit: hmmm, might move this to the troll thread

I'm seriously considering a new chest of drawers just for my cycling kit :shock:

When you're hanging more lycra on the line than anythnig else the neighbours start to look worried :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    jedster wrote:
    I shower after exercise twice a day. If I didn't have a shower at work, I might well shower in the morning before I got on the bike. But I do.

Two pairs of socks per day - one for the bike, one for the office. I don't think cycling socks are a good look with a suit.

I (somewhat contraversially it seems) shave at work. Sweating heavily on freshly shaved skin gives me a rash. Also the shower softens my stubble.

All of this seems very obvious, no? I can understand that if you lack showers at work you have to resort to wierd alternatives. :lol:

J

+1

I was writing this more-or-less word for word (although I don't have to wear a suit).

I'm very lucky that we have shower/wet rooms and security parking for bikes.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    AndyManc wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

[wanders in from troll thread]
    there is the same amount of water on the Earth as there was when it was formed
    [/wanders out to troll thread]

Why wear socks when cycling? it's too hot as it is? I go bare foot. Wash the shoes once a week.

I shower AFTER every ride, never before - I really can't see the point (but then I have a shower at work.)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    AndyManc wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Not sure about that - lots of water arrived from comets - and new water must be formed occasionally. although I admit there can't be much more or less water than millions of years ago unless someone's piping it out to space.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I'd say usually.

I like showering and being clean. If I had the time, I'd shower before every ride. If I have time in the morning, I will shower to wash the smell of sleep off, tho' I am usually late due to the snooze function and have to forego the pre-commute shower. Depending on my day at work, I'll have a shower before I head off. If I am racing in the evening, then I will definitely shower before I leave work. Of course, I shower after the rides too.

If/when I head out on weekend, I'll generally shower first.

As for socks, clean socks, shorts and top for the commute every morning. Different work socks, then change back into the commute socks for the ride home. Oh yeah, even if I'm not showering in between sock changes, I'll always use foot powder to make my toes feel nice and fresh. I guess i must seem like some sort of obsessive... :o
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    This thread makes me laugh.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393

BUT, usable available water is far less because it's tied up in people taking showers and the Spanish watering golf courses in the fecking desert.

( and industrial processes, waste systems , etc etc.)

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png