Kielder Forest

Cheshley
Cheshley Posts: 1,448
edited July 2009 in Routes
Has anyone ridden the new routes at Kielder? There was a new Red route opened this year and I fancy a day out somewhere new..... :o)

Worth the drive?
1998 Marin Hawk Hill
2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    No. Too much effort for too little reward.

Myself and three mates had the same idea about six weeks ago. 320 mile round trip in a day and to be honest we weren't impressed. We bitterly regretted not driving the extra 20 miles to Glentress that day.

I'd go again if I was passing through, but the thing is Kielder isn't the sort of place you pass through on the way to anywhere.

This is only my opinion and that of three other people though, no doubt you'll get a polar opposite viewpoint from someone else.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Lizzie77
    Lizzie77 Posts: 53
    Yeah, me :)

We live 20 mile away and have been several times. There is a fair bit of up hill slog but we really enjoy the downhill and single track.

Its challenging, but thats surely the whole point!!
    Specialized XC Comp
    Specialized Pitch Pro
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I guess if you only live 20 miles away it isn't too bad!! :D
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • gypsy3006
    gypsy3006 Posts: 108
    I live bang in the middle of Kielder / innerliethn / Glentress , 20 miles to each :D
    I ride them on a weekly basis , travelling a little further on the weekends if i have time.

They all have their own individual styles and I love them all for different reasons , Kielder is a short but very technical route (deadwater black/red) , it requires a higher level of effort / skill to get it right , and the real rewards comes from cleaning individual difficult sections as opposed to the speedy descents of innerliethn and Glentress .

The new route "lonesome Pine" is slowly getting better with the basic route in place and features being added slowly , its still a good run , but not as good as it will be next year :D

I agree with Dave though , if your travelling 320 miles then your probably going to get more from GT or Inners

cheers
    :shock:
    Ride like theres a randy priest behind you !!!!
  • bungalistic
    bungalistic Posts: 543
    Is that new north shore thing they were building been finished yet? I want to go back and ride the black route down (so much fun) and have a play on the new stuff they were constructing once it's all finished.
  • gypsy3006
    gypsy3006 Posts: 108
    Its not finished yet , infact theyve done hardly anything to it recently
    Ride like theres a randy priest behind you !!!!