TdeF vs Wimbledon (doping)

GyatsoLa
GyatsoLa Posts: 667
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Interesting US article here about *alleged* doping activities in tennis.

http://www.slate.com/id/2221980/

Nothing very new I know, but some useful facts in it for those of you who (like me) are endlessly patronised by tennis fans about how perfect their heroes are compared to cycling.

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    !His friends protested his innocence, including Rafael Nadal, who said, "I'm certain that he's not taking anything." Nadal added helpfully, "If you kiss a girl who's taken cocaine, anything can happen, and that's the truth." "

(Which, I'd have thought, was the object of the exercise.)

Rafa, me old mucker, I think that headband might be overly tight. You're only one step away from claiming you can catch EPO from a toilet seat.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    Nadal was on th rumour mill when operacion puerto broke a few years back.
    I remember Rusedski being cleared even though he was unlucky enough to be tested.
    Don't know many tennis fans but I have the same conversations with football fans.
    Football doesn't take testing seriously IMHO but the evidence is there. Their union is still fighting the whereabouts programme that WADA want to introduce.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Woah woah woah.... Tennis has fans?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    Woah woah woah.... Tennis has fans?

Yeah and Andy whining about human rights and dignity infringements by drug testing Murray is apparently great. (and beyond reproach) SO the fans tell me.

Just like Rugby players and body builders and swimmers and track athletes and baseball players and ..........

Actually Tennis is quite good, lots of little breaks and drinks and head wipes. Just what i needed last night on a ten.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Yeah but wasn't it in the Kimmage article on Sunday, David Millar said that the problem is MUCH bigger in cycling than other sports [like football or tennis] because the benefits are so much greater to cyclists.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Yeah but wasn't it in the Kimmage article on Sunday, David Millar said that the problem is MUCH bigger in cycling than other sports [like football or tennis] because the benefits are so much greater to cyclists.

They used to say the same thing about baseball, now we know different.

Anyway, as the article points out, there are many facets of tennis (along with other sports) where a variety of illicit compounds would give a benefit. Given the vast amounts of money at stake, its hard to believe that someone isn't at least tempted. But as the article also points out, the doping regime for tennis is an absolute joke.