Changing pedals

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 61,111
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

I've had my Anthem X for a couple of months now and have bought some nice grey MG-1's to replace the el cheapo 'get you started' flats that the dealer stuck on while I was deciding what I wanted.

I'd rather change them myself but not sure how or what tool I need. It's probably not difficult but knowing my luck and general mechanical cluelessness, if I take pot luck something is bound to go wrong :roll:

Some top tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a read of the how too on park tools.

linky in sig. it even has pictures :wink:

PS. welcome.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks Nick, very handy 8)

Will need to get tooled up and have a crack at it. Do you reckon copper grease would be OK for the threads of the new pedals?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    correct as you are wanting to stop them seizing.

grease is better than nothing but an anti seize is best.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stevo_666
    Good stuff - saves me buying something else as I already have a huge pot of copper grease in the garage that I use for car wheel nuts :)

Ta for the help
    Steve.
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Good on you Steve 8)

I'm a bit of retard when it comes to mechanics and felt a great sense of achievement having changed my pedals... :)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Stevo_666
    Cheers Ads, good to know not everyone on the forum is a mechanical god :lol:

Of course, if I don't manage it I'll slip down to my local dealer and never mention it again :oops:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Remember to factor in at least twice as long as it should take, to take into account that you'll turn it the right way the first time, then become convinced that you must be turning it the wrong way as it's not shifting, then you'll spend ages actually tightening it before you realise you were turning it the right way in the first place. It's the law.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stevo_666
    So true....
  • Stevo_666
    Did it today - piece of cake, 10 minutes tops as the old pedals came off at the first attempt. New MG-1's are a big improvement 8)
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Sorted, well done Sir :)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0