Noisy bottom bracket

Jay dubbleU
Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
edited July 2009 in The workshop
My bottom bracket is making a clunking noise when I set off but seems OK otherwise - took it to my LBS but he couldn't find any movement in the bracket or the cranks - he took the pedals off and re-greased them in case they had been put on without grease but the noise persists - bike is about 10 months old and has done around 800 miles at an estimate - any ideas ?

Comments

• Are the bolts that hold the chain rings on done up tight? Is one of the chain rings hitting the front mech, maybe extra flex when you start? Does it do it in all gears?
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Jay dubbleU
    The answer to that is don't know but I'll check - thanks for the suggestions
  • Jay dubbleU
    Checked everything around the bottom bracket, cranks, pedals, front shifter etc but nothing apparent - the bracket on the Giant is a Shimano cartridge - anyone know how long these things usually last ?
  • duron1
    duron1 Posts: 2,475
    Is it square taper BB? On my commuter bike, I had creaking until I removed the BB, greased the threads of the BB and refitted. I have a Shimanoo UN54 BB with 14,500 miles on it now.
    Commuter: Saracen Vex '03 (Full XT drivetrain, Rockshox Tora 302 80mm, Conti Touring Plus..etc)

MTB Hardtail: Orbea Satellite - Team Colours '08 (Full XTR drivetrain, Reba Teams, XC717s - Hope Pro II, Fire XC Pro 2.1...etc).