Bikes on UK, Eurostar and TGV Trains

skavanagh.bikeradar
skavanagh.bikeradar Posts: 1,097
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hello,

Thinking of using train to get from Oxford to Grenoble using trains and although in theory a road bike packed up in a bike bag (a little over the french size limit at 134x91) should be okay doing this, does anyone have any experience of trying it?

I'm also aware that the sticking points are most likely to be:

1. the Oxford to London leg and getting them to allow me on the train
2. getting across London from Paddington to St Pancras
3. Getting across Paris from Eurostar to TGV

Does anyone have any advice on these 3 aspects?

Cheers.

Comments

• Puzzler
    Puzzler Posts: 73
    Get on the TGV at Lille and not Paris, just a matter of changing platforms then.
    I went to Grenoble on the TGV and never again.
    Nice comfy train no problems there, but the bike bag wont fit into the storage racks at the end of each carriage so had to leave it leaning up against it. This caused huge problems because it blocked half the aisle which annoyed a lot of people getting on and off, also everytime somebody used the rack they has to move the bike bag first. At one point some stupid American woman just through it out into the connecting corridor as it was in her way, ending up having a stand up argument with the silly cow much to the amusement of the locals and young kids on route to Eurodisney.
    Never again, easier to fly.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    edited July 2009
    I agree with Puzzler about changing in Lille Europe if you can, but IIRC there are only two or three trains a day so the times may not work out for you.

That said, it really isn't that difficult to get from the Gare du Nord to the Gare de Lyon - simply take the RER. the best line is the RER D (directionMelun/Malesherbes/Corbeil Essonnes) but you can take others and change at Chatelet-les Halles if you need to (stay on the same platform). Make sure you don't end up in the suburban (Banlieu) station. Carry change for the ticket machine.

I use a Ground Effect Tardis bag which is 115cms by 70cms. It just about fits OK in the racks - sideways and laid flat. The top tip if you are on a duplex TGV is to go upstairs as the luggage racks downstairs tend to fill up first.

Get to the Eurostar early if you can - the racks for larger luggage tend to fill up as muppets put silly little holdalls into them instead of using the overhead racks.

Paddington to Kings X st Pancras is simply a matter of getting on the Circle, District or Hammersmith and City lines.
  • www.seat61.com i(f you've not yet looked) is the best place for info on trains in Europe.
  • Many thanks chaps. I've had a look at seat 61, useful info.
  • 1. Oxford-London. Not usually a problem--just bear in mind that bikes are banned 'inwards' during the morning rush hour. (You can I think take them on the HSTs during this time, ie that have a separate bike van, on reservation--but IME these are only used long-distance ie where the start station is Hereford.)

2. Paddington-St. Pancras. Can't really comment, if you want to ride it the most direct route is pretty straightforward (less than 3 miles, in a straight line) but also along a very busy road.

3. Changing trains in Paris. As others have said, see if Lille might work instead. Again, if you're using the Metro/RER try to avoid peak hours. And see if you can get Metro tickets before you go, as the queues can be horrendous. (If not, allow plenty of time for your connection--seriously, I once had a 40min wait for a ticket at the Gare du Nord.)

I'm surprised if bike size should be an issue--mine's a tourer and it fit on the racks fine (subject to the small-luggage muppetry that Andymiller mentioned). TGVs and Eurostar both have the 120x90 rule, so if it's OK on the Eurostar it should be on the TGV. Possible exception is where the ticket booking for the TGV says something like "see conductor on arrival" rather than a seat no., which probably means they've overbooked the train.
  • i bought an airnimal to make this sort of journey easy. i've used rer in paris as suggested but last time i went i was recovering from a back strain and thought the taxi not too expensive between gd nord and gd lyon at about £9. there are a lot of steps if you use the rer.
    if you do end up cycling in paris it is a pretty easy journey if you plan it so as to use roads with cycle lanes.
    look at it this way, when compared to the price of a holiday, taxis are not so expensive and they save a lot of hassle and bother and possibly a ricked back.
  • andymiller
    BTW if you do decide to cycle between Paddington and St Pancras it's quicker and much less stressful to use the cycle route that runs to the south of, and parallel with Marylebone Road etc. For details go to the Journey Planner section of the www.tfl.gov.uk website and then check/uncheck the appropriate options.

£9 for the taxi - hmm that sounds tempting!
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Went from Cumbria to Grenoble and back on the train last year... observations.

1. UK was fine both on Virgin and tube, did Stanstead to Liverpool St. This year too with no probs. I just stood my bag on its end to avoid inconviniencing folks.

2. Eurostar, I had a very flimsy USPS bikebag that fit near exactly into the rack, my new one, more of a standard size probably wouldn't.

3. TGV I simply sat on the stairs between carriages with it as it wouldn't fit on the racks. As long as your bike is packed though, they'll probably take it. There is a compartment at the front they will let you put it in normally. Will test the theory on Saturday!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andymiller
    2. Eurostar, I had a very flimsy USPS bikebag that fit near exactly into the rack, my new one, more of a standard size probably wouldn't. !

It's a wee bit anti social, and you need to get there early, but some of the shelves flip down if you undo a clip (I know this from travelling with a monster snowboard bag). A less anti-social option would be to see if the train manager will let you put it in one of the compartments at the middle of the train. However, as I think these are the compartments that have been converted to carry bikes, this may not work anymore.