Do I need to change my training?

TimesLikeThese
TimesLikeThese Posts: 304
Do I need to change my training?

I was doing some mountains the other day and at the steeper sections had to stop and walk - not because my thighs were sore, tired or burning, but because my heart was racing and I couldnt get enough oxygen. So I frequently had to have a few minutes breather before carrying on.

So I'm guessing this means I need to start concentrating on building up my heart a bit more on longer distance, endurance paced rides.

But its a guess so any advice on how to improve fitness and get over this hurdle appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• I keep recommending the book Mountain Bike Fitness Training by John Metcalfe.
    Starting Weight: 25 st 13.44 lbs - On: 20/05/09
    Current Weight: 16 st 7 lbs - On: 10/11/12
    Weight Loss: 9 st 6.44 lbs
    Current BMR: 2095 Calories
  • spark1479
    spark1479 Posts: 21
    I'm having a similar problem of getting enough oxygen on board whilst getting uphill and once at the top feeling like I can't breath. A personal trainer friend of mine recommended some high intensity interval training so on an exercise bike in the gym I am doing the following on a relatively high setting:

1 - 5 mins warm up at 80rpm
    2 - 30 secs at full speed (140rpm +)
    3 - 60 secs at cruising speed (80rpm)
    repeat stage 2 and 3 seven times
    4 - Finish with warm down.

I've been doing this for a few weeks now increasing the resistance level and its been working for me.
    screaming when you are about to crash doesn't help....!

2009 Orange 5 Custom