How can i know which new crankset to buy for my tricross?

SmrtGeo
SmrtGeo Posts: 2
edited July 2009 in The workshop
Hi guys, I hope i dont appear too thick asking this but i recently bought a specialized tricross after getting sick of doing roughly 220 miles per week on my old muddy fox alusport.

I'm much happier with the new bike but I'm a little dissapointed because its very easy for me to max out on it and my main reason for buying the bike was to cut down on riding time as opposed to distance.

I love riding fast and hate to be maxed on the declines because it seems like a missed opportunity hehe.

I'm fantasizing about buying a new crankset to make the bike very 'top end' but i'm quite new to the technical issue of that and would not know how to identify the performance of it from the tech data or even if the one i was thinking of buying would fit my bike!

is this something i can learn relatively easily or should i just trust a mechanic to tell me?

any help would be appreciated

thankyou

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    What sort of Tricross do you have?

I've got a Sport (the 2008 one) and the front (triple) chainrings have 50/39/30 teeth.

The Comp (ie more fancy) has a double at the front, it is 48/34...

Either way, you want more teeth on them!

If you have the sport, I find I spend most of my time on the middle ring - If I had enough hills to play on I would want to replace the big ring. Take it into your LBS and see if it's practical just to change the big ring...

(tomorrow you will get more helpful replies btw :D )
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Can you go with a double 50/34 or 36 and fit a 11-23 cassette?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."