Small Tip

cgarossi
cgarossi Posts: 729
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
But a usefull one.

When you get a new bike, instead of ditching the rear reflector bracket, remove the reflector and use the bracket to mark your seat post position. That way if you ever need to remove the seat post you can put it back in the same position as before.

trek_small.jpg

Note the clamp on the seat post.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    If you need to drop your post you can't though*

*unless the clamp marks the lowered post setting ;)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • cgarossi
    Well no, but I don't drop my seat very often. And I carry a screw driver in my pack anyway.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Arr Andy then you have the Spesh bikes that have the stop built in to the seat tower stopping you from dropping it onto the shock.

cgarossi
    but as most people drop the saddle for the decents i would see that as more of a pain than a help.

marker pen is great.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited July 2009
    I put a dot with a marker right in the slot in the seat tube - that way I can go back to the same height and know its straight without even having to check.

Bracket would stop you lowering the saddle so a no-no from me.

Tips are always good tho and yours will work for many I'm sure.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • cgarossi
    Fair enough. I don't lower my saddle in very many situations and im always taking my bike in and out of the car.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    cgarossi wrote:
    Fair enough. I don't lower my saddle in very many situations and im always taking my bike in and out of the car.

C'mon, admit it, you just wanted an excuse to post a pic of your (admittedly very nice) bike didnt you. Come on now, no fibbing :wink:
  • cgarossi
    Well, a little. :lol:

Don't get me started I have other equally useless tips which might involve posting up more pics :D

I have them on my PC desktop at work. Damn I so need a girlfriend lol
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Try the Truvativ Tell-U tool which marks the seatpost so that you can quickly guage where it should be before tightening up the QR. It's quite dear at £29.95 but you can also use it as a felt tip pen for posters etc.
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    Dropping the seat :o

If you cant ride down a hill with the seat in the correct postion for riding you either
    need to learn to ride a bike or you need to get better at riding a bike
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    gezzza wrote:

If you cant ride down a hill with the seat in the correct postion for riding you either
    Maybe you haven't ridden anything steep/technical enough to warrant dropping yours?
    DHers ride with their saddles low,why?Because you can move about on the bike quicker and get further back on the bike(lower centre of gravity) without the saddle restricting movement.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    gezzza wrote:

:roll: Sorry, but that has to be one of the most ill-thought out posts I've read on here.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Gezza - sorry but that's just plain stupid. Riding a DH course on a DH bike where you dont need to sit you sure as hell dont want the saddle up at XC height.

Similarly I would drop the saddle for any reasonable length technical descent where pedalling is a minor consideration. I have ridden in a variety of terrain from chiltern hills to french alps and consider myself an OK rider. I drop my saddle all the time since I have far greater confidence getting out the back with the tyre buzzing my pants when I dont have a saddle to rest my chin on at the same time!

OK riding some undulating southern hills I dont drop it because the gradients are never so steep or long I feel I need to.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.