Robert Millar interview

scwxx77
scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Looks like ITV will have one this year.

Brian Smith:
arranged an interview with Robert Millar for ITV's Tour de France show....25 yrs ago 'Bob' finished 4th and won the KOM...friend and legend!
Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ....he will do no interviews in person or over the phone....so email only....still a legend!

An email interview on TV? Er, can't wait!
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    afx237vi wrote:
    ....he will do no interviews in person or over the phone....so email only....still a legend!

An email interview on TV? Er, can't wait!

... how cool will that be.... the guy is iconic
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Unless it's gonna be on ITV's website... which would make a bit more sense.
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    Iain should try and get an interview for Cycling Report. That would be neither on the phone nor in person.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    I'm looking forward to hearing what Robert Millar has to say on the current pro cycling scene. There are very few pure climbers left that are capable of a high gc finish, and kom jersey, without cheating.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,639
    cswebbo wrote:
    I'm looking forward to hearing what Robert Millar has to say on the current pro cycling scene. There are very few pure climbers left that are capable of a high gc finish, and kom jersey, without cheating.

To be fair, I wouldn't describe Sastre as a rouleur, and he may still get Polka Dot by default.
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    cswebbo wrote:

Maybe, but don't forget Millar was done for doping as well
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • LorneC
    LorneC Posts: 149
    colint wrote:
    cswebbo wrote:

Maybe, but don't forget Millar was done for doping as well

When???

David Millar was done for doping

Robert Millar was not AFAIK
    Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
    AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
    AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    Can't remember the exact details but he was banned for about 3 months, it's all in the book "In search of Robert Millar" (that's Robert, not David :-) )
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    According to Google, Millar once failed a test for having too much testosterone. But according to Google he's now a woman, so who knows?
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    colint wrote:
    Can't remember the exact details but he was banned for about 3 months, it's all in the book "In search of Robert Millar" (that's Robert, not David :-) )

Correct.

That was back in the days when you could get a 10 minute penalty in a race for doping.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • davesvord
    davesvord Posts: 80
    Agent57 wrote:
    According to Google, Millar once failed a test for having too much testosterone. But according to Google he's now a woman, so who knows?

I beleive he lives as a woman in Dorset. He won some award a couple of years ago a did not collect it, there was alot on the forums about him then. Great cyclist.
  • davesvord wrote:
    I beleive he lives as a woman in Dorset. Great cyclist.

That explains that old bird on a shopper whizzing past me on the climb out of the Frome Valley.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Wasn't there a thread on here where someone posted as Robert Millar - "gottheteeshirt2" or something - can't remember if it was proved to be him or not?
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    I thought the sex change rumour was just tabloid journalism - was it ever verified?
    I read that book as well, don't remember it being conclusive either way. Maybe I need to read it again!
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Edwin wrote:
    I thought the sex change rumour was just tabloid journalism - was it ever verified?
    I read that book as well, don't remember it being conclusive either way. Maybe I need to read it again!
    It is just that, an unverified rumour. Whatever the truth is, it doesn't seem right to speculate, it's noone else's business other than RM himself. Everyone is entitled to their privacy.
  • very well put Nickwill.

He's interesting because he's most successful UK TdF rider, but if he wants to keep out if the public eye then that's his lookout.
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Agreed, I wouldn't want to be in the public eye either, so it's understandable. There was an excellent peice by him in the last issue of Rouleur magazine as well, not sure if it was written recently, but it's not like he's disappeared off the face of the earth.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    I'm a fan and very much look forward to hearing anything RM might have to say.

He's always seemed to have a way of cutting through the cr@p to offer insight and opinion without bullsh1t or ulterior agenda.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Harry182 wrote:
    I'm a fan and very much look forward to hearing anything RM might have to say.

He's always seemed to have a way of cutting through the cr@p to offer insight and opinion without bullsh1t or ulterior agenda.
    +1. Looking forward to RM's input. I doubt Brian would make it up.

A legend he most certainly is. Is it really 25 years ago? That makes me feel old :(
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Whatever form it takes - well done Brian for making it happen as this 25th Anniverary is a very special occasion. I reckon he has more fans now than 25 years ago. I hope Robert can appreciate that and set aside his understandable contempt for the media to acknowledge this in any small way. I also hope he can appreciate himself how much his achievements mean to so many.
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    davesvord wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

I beleive he lives as a woman in Dorset. He won some award a couple of years ago a did not collect it, there was alot on the forums about him then. Great cyclist.

It's stupid unfounded comments like that, that stop Robert giving any interviews.

Why should he bother when people talk so much sh1te about him!! :(
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Shocked that it was 25 years ago- makes me feel sooooo very old.

Odd how Robert Millar has drawn the very best (book) from journalism, and the worst pond life. Such cruel, cruel allegations without an iota of fact to back them up. I just wish he'd sued the Daily Mail for libel.
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    davesvord wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

It's stupid unfounded comments like that, that stop Robert giving any interviews.

Why should he bother when people talk so much sh1te about him!! :(

Most of these people display dual tendecies, being wonderful and also arts holes in one, body that is. Their out of body experiences are welcome as the clean up after you hits your shelf can be upsetting. That's what I bean told.

Robert is only interferred with by feared up "am I , no I couldn't be" type dross cressers.