Help Please! Cycle Insurance too expensive!

chonginc
chonginc Posts: 5
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
I've just got a quote from Cycleguard Insurers for 2 bikes totalling up to just under £5000 and the annual premium.... £760!! :shock: I mean, seriously I don't pay that for my Civic Type R each year!!

What else is there out there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated from you all! Ta!

Comments

• dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    ask your home insurer if they can add it, usually works out cheaper.

It is expensive but unfortunately bikes are prised items for lowlife scumbags with a crowbar and some bolt cutters.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    Mine is covered on my home insurance, had to pay a little extra on my premium, but not much.

Otherwise check the back pages of one of the MTB magazines, there are quite a few insurers listed, I guess some are cheaper than others.
    Ridley Orion
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    What do you want from the insurance policy? Theft from home is usually best handled (in terms of price) on "normal" home insurance. If you want cover from damage whilst riding etc then you will pay through the nose for it.
  • psilocybe
    psilocybe Posts: 119
    Have a look at M&S insurance, house insurance that is. My 2nd year quote for my 2 bikes worth 3k came to around 300 quid with cycleguard or someone but when i got a quote for house insurance with extended contents and bikes upto 4k it came to 300 quid.
    Orange 5 AM
    Giant XTC Alliance 1
    Charge Duster SS
    Unbuilt Maxlight XC3Pro
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I switched from Cycleguard to M&S to, anything individually under £4k you don't need to declare separately. Cycleguard has a whole raft of exclusions and get out clauses in it's T&Cs to so I didn't have much faith in them paying up anyway.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mine's covered on the home contents insurance, covers theft from home, theft from me while I'm out, accidental damage and other stuff I think, was a little bit extra on the premium, but worth it. I'm pretty sure we're with RSA, and the insurance is actually sorted by More Than.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    M&S household insurance, far and away the best and cheapest method.
  • matt748
    matt748 Posts: 194
    +1 for M&S. Switched from 'More Than' as M&S will cover bikes up to £4000 without even naming them, and their 'away from home' cover is worldwide. Actually worked out cheaper than 'More Than' too.

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    AA for me, and it cost me nothing, anthing up to 1500.00

But will need to change as just got some xt brakes wheels and crank, so its going to push it way over the 1500.00 might have to pay extra, or move