Helmet

Phinx
Phinx Posts: 297
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
As i'm getting in to mountain biking i, naturally, feel that i am happy with my head being in one peace. So recently discussions with myself occurred on what i need to cover my head up from nasty accidents. What would you recommend? Should i go full-face or stick with a standard one? Any specific helmets i should consider looking at?
Giant Yukon FX3

Comments

• Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    Full face for the mental stuff, a normal trail lid for normal trail riding, it really depends on what you are going to be doing.

I can't comment on full face lids, but for normal trail lids there are stacks out there in a vast array of prices. Met, Giro, Bell are all fine, but best to try some on for the best fit. A rule of thumb, the lighter you go the more expensive they get. Less weight usually means more vents, so better when it's hot and sticky. Spend as much as you can afford is the best advice I was given.
    Ridley Orion
  • chonginc
    chonginc Posts: 5
    Hey Phinx,

I've always used Specialized Helmets and they do me fine - I've had a few crashes in them and they offer a Crash replacement Scheme - you return your battered one to them with proof of purchase and they send you one out at half the RRP. I'm sure a few manufacturers do this nowadays but I've had no problems with Spesh so I'm happy to recommend them.

Their new 2D helmet is darn pricey but weighs next to nowt and keeps ya noggin cool too, brilliant all day helm...
    For the best of both worlds try a MET Parachute with a removable chin guard - it'll give u confidence on the big stuff and visibility is slightly better than a proper full facer!

Hope this helps and welcome to the MTB community! 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    most important thing is to try a few different ones on, and go with what fits best. A badly fitting helmet could prove less than useless when you need it the most, and all manufacturers have slightly differing shapes.
  • If your just starting off and you want a bit of extra protection than a normal helmet offers but dont want to go the full face route, which can be considered overkill for cross country riding try taking a look at a met parachute, http://www.rutlandcycling.com/9173/MET- ... elmet.html , it's like a normal helmet with an extra chinguard which is more than adequate for xc riding but with an extra bit of protection if your worried about stuffing it, and obviously you wont get as hot as wearing a full face - hope this helps mate !! Ps there are other makes I just picked this one as an example - shop around also you may find them cheaper !!
  • chonginc wrote:
    Hey Phinx,

I've always used Specialized Helmets and they do me fine - I've had a few crashes in them and they offer a Crash replacement Scheme - you return your battered one to them with proof of purchase and they send you one out at half the RRP. I'm sure a few manufacturers do this nowadays but I've had no problems with Spesh so I'm happy to recommend them.

Their new 2D helmet is darn pricey but weighs next to nowt and keeps ya noggin cool too, brilliant all day helm...
    For the best of both worlds try a MET Parachute with a removable chin guard - it'll give u confidence on the big stuff and visibility is slightly better than a proper full facer!

Hope this helps and welcome to the MTB community! 8)

Sorry didnt see this post til I had written mine !! :wink:
  • Phinx
    Phinx Posts: 297
    Thanks for all replies, i will browse around for something, but MET Parachute is looking the most promising now, or a cheaper full-face. I mean i will go off-road as soon as possible and sometimes even having good skills wont save you from an unlucky fall.
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Try the Fox Flux...a true love it or hate it trail helmet.

Naturally I love mine!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)