Body Position

Platti
Platti Posts: 130
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
I've just started training for a trip to Alpe D'Huez next year but new to road cycling.

I'm sure its a case of see what works for you but I really feel I'm stretching to far forward for my handlebars. I don't know if its because I've been mountain biking for the past few years or if I've got my set up wrong.

Any words of wisdom on this as I dont see much room for adjustment.

Cheers.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    You bike may be the wrong size, it may just need tweaking - if it is too stretched, you could move the saddle forward on the rails or get a shorter stem.

I finally got around to having a bike fit session done at the weekend (fathers day treat), and it's something I'd recommend - saddle dropped (a lot), and moved forward (again quite a bit), cleats moved forward. The difference was amazing - feels a little strange climbing, but could ride on the drops without any discomfort which before was difficult for more than 5 minutes.

I thought after cycling for 20 years I had developed the right position - it seems not :oops:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • sirlylos
    sirlylos Posts: 234
    A bike fitting sounds like a plan.

I got my first road bike on the weekend which I'm infatuated with but I'm getting some back ache when I'm leaning down on the lower bars and not sure why. It's a M/L and the dude in the shop told me it was the right size so I'm confident it is but may need to do some tweaking.
    1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
    1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
    1997 - Specialized Hardrock
    2003 - Specialized FSR XC
    2008 - Specialized Epic FSR Comp
    2009 - Giant Defy 3
    2010 - Voodoo Wanga
    2012 - Cannondale Supersix 105
  • Platti
    Platti Posts: 130
    Thanks for the reply. Its the right size bike, but maybe it dos need a tweek, will have a play around and try and squeeze it together a bit.
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    these forum guys suggested i tweak seat fwd a little and change cleat position - has worked well for me so far although I am considering rotating the bars towards me a bit as i still reach a bit...no more back probs though
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    You need to be careful about moving the saddle too far forward though. You might get the right reach but knacker up your position over the cranks / pedals ... and there lies inefficiency and knee pain. If your reach problem can be sorted by a minorsaddle adjustment then great but if not then the best bet would be to change to a shorter stem.