The value of a torque wrench

sods_law
sods_law Posts: 161
edited July 2009 in Workshop
After reading posts about the importance of using a torque wrench with carbon components, I found out today that they are infact beneficial with all components.

Was adjusting my saddle height slightly before my ride today, and...

img00074200906301821.jpg

is apparenlty very easy to be a bit heavy handed... so no ride for me tonight :(

Will now be investing in a torque wrench.

Comments

• simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    I got myself one of these:

http://www.mailordercycles.com/products ... b45s72p647

From that very same shop- recommended, as I called on a Monday afternoon to order, only for the wrench to arrive the next day! Excellent.

Generally folks recommend the Sealey STW1012 (I think), but beware; these seem to be out of stock most places....
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Maybe you're not as heavy handed as you think. Could very well be a defective part.
    It's not unheard of. Quality control is never a perfect thing. FWIW I have never used a
    torque wrench on a bike and I consider myself "heavy handed"(I like things tight), yet
    I can't remember the last time I broke something by over tightening. Maybe I'm just lucky.
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    dennis: could well be defective. I just think its cheap crap to be honest. I have a low end bike, and is probably the cheapest clamp they could lay their hands on. For £5/6 for a new one, not worth the fuss of arguing, and i was doing it up pretty tight :?

Thanks Simon. Am actually looking at stuff from Screwfix. I might be lucky enough to get one through work :roll:
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I got myself one of these:

http://www.mailordercycles.com/products ... b45s72p647

From that very same shop- recommended, as I called on a Monday afternoon to order, only for the wrench to arrive the next day! Excellent.

Generally folks recommend the Sealey STW1012 (I think), but beware; these seem to be out of stock most places....

I have the Sealey STW1012, but this X-Tools one from CRC looks identical apart from the handle not being black. Great price at £27.99 delivered. Unfortunately it has also just gone out of stock (was in last week), but you can request an email alert.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I am looking for both sizes of torque wrench at the moment and I don't know whether to go 'cheap' on this type of wrench or spend some money and buy some Park stuff, namely TW5 and TW6.

I'm not sure, in the long run, what will be worth it ......
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I am looking for both sizes of torque wrench at the moment and I don't know whether to go 'cheap' on this type of wrench or spend some money and buy some Park stuff, namely TW5 and TW6.

The Park wrenches are great. Their main attraction for me was that they are easy to recallibrate (you just bend the lever until it reads zero again!).

I'd say getting both wrenches is £100ish well spent, considering the damage you can do yourself/your bike through incorrect tightening.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I don't see much point in them for a bike. Carbon seatposts usually have a max torque of 6nm, if you can tighten the clamp to that value with an Allen key you must be built like Mike Tyson and dosed up on amphetamines.

The couple of times I have used a torque wrench on a setpost clamp the thread stripped just past 5nm. I reckon most seatpost damage is caused by burrs on poorly finished frames cutting through the lacquer.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010

I have a Norbar 1/4inch 4-20nm that I may be willing to part with. Used it to build my bike last year and has sat in my toolbox ever since.