Drop offs are all in the mind aren't they

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2009 in MTB general
There is a drop off, with a steep rocky hill near me, that i've chickend twice now...

tonight is the re-match....it's got a tight entrance (no mouse ear jokes please) then you have to flick the back over and throw yourself off.....walking it is tricky to stay on ya feet..

It's all in the mind aint it?

G

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Mostly.... and my mind is weak as dish-water :(
  • bungalistic
    bungalistic Posts: 543
    GmanUK101 wrote:
    It's all in the mind aint it?

Yes

Pictures needed for proof once done :D
  • Anonymous
    Pictures needed for proof once done :D

does that include A&E waiting room? lol
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    In the mind and a good dose of speed!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    In the mind and a good dose of speed!
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Nah, video please.

He could just take his bike to the bottom and look proud!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    It's the fear of the unknown combined with supression of the panic instinct. Having said that, my bike has bailed me out of a few 'oh sh*t' moments =]
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    in the mind? yes. easy to tell yourself that as you hurtle towards it ? no. easy to say afterwards? yes
    I like bikes and stuff
  • cgarossi
    More likely to hurt yourself if you have no confidence in the bike. Thanks to physics, you're more like to survive going fast than you are tootling over the edge.
  • Anonymous
    cgarossi wrote:
    Nah, video please.

He could just take his bike to the bottom and look proud!

I think he meant mid flow.....that would suck me posting a pic of me at the bottom of a hill...lol.... "you should have seen the one that got away.."pmsl
  • cgarossi
    We'll need a series of pics. The run up, the flight and the aftermath. :D
  • Anonymous
    cgarossi wrote:
    We'll need a series of pics. The run up, the flight and the aftermath. :D

"hello 118 118 can you tell me David Bailey's number please" ;)

you can have one of my face with no teeth left..lol
  • bungalistic
    Just make sure a friend goes with you, then they can take the photos/video needed as proof you did it or as something to go on 'you've been framed' after you fall and break something.

Oh and they can also phone the ambulance too if needed (sure it won't though)
  • cgarossi
    Or just stand there, point and laugh.
  • Anonymous
    cgarossi wrote:

that would be my luck as that's what I normally do... after they get up....what goes around comes around I guess.lol
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    cgarossi wrote:
    That would be my choice! :lol::lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • cgarossi
    On a serious note, don't do it if you're not confident about it. I can send you some risk assesment forms if you like and you can post them here :P
  • Anonymous
    cgarossi wrote:
    On a serious note, don't do it if you're not confident about it. I can send you some risk assesment forms if you like and you can post them here :P

lol @ risk assessment....

I know what your saying though, and cheers....am just bigging up a kerb in my street really....it's nothing big tbh, just steep and tricky, plenty potential for those you've been framed moments..
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Decent amount of speed, weight over the back, saddle lowered if you want, dont over brake, and if you hesitate more then 3 times, forget it. Everyone always comes off on the 4th.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    try to visualise your line in your head walk it a few times thinking about braking points ect think about body position, look for a point on the rock to aim for so you know your lined up,..
    then when your confident and only when you feel 100% confident attempt it,..

its better to walk away and to come back to than to attemp it half hearted with a element of fear and injure your self, keeping you off the bike and knocking your confidence... remember it aint going anywere it will be there tomorrow and next week and so on....

i learned the hard way in whistler on river runs through it riding a teetertotter it was around six feet high the guide did it. i walked it a few times and thought can i do it, in my head i knew i shouldnt but caught up in the moment and wanting to impress. (was having an amazing ride nailing everytihing i had bottled last time) i jumped on my bike rode towards the teetertotter got up it as it droped onto the next one at the highest point i braked (don't know why) but i did i then looked at the drop and thought oh shugar i'm off here and its gonna hurt,..
    if you look at it you hit it or end up there they say, and sure enough off the side i went over the bars and almost head first into the floor i managed to do a summersault but smashed my knee on a root, it ended my days riding...

i knew i should not of attempted it but i still went ahead and did it half confident and payed the price..
    i still have a swollen knee now and its over a month ago,...

good luck with your drop just be patient and confident you will do eventually just be sure it feels right only you will know in your self when that moment is....
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Pads on, helmet tight, suspension perfectly tuned, sensible role in, little upward pull on bars, crank of pedals in middle ish gear, graceful weighless moment and absorb landing roll away happy.

Who cares if you have pics, land it and ride it out then brag it out for weeks to come. :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Body armour is a must if you are doing more extreme stuffs. If for no other reason than peace-of-mind. If you feel better, more confident that you a protected, you'll perform better!

Also, don't hesitate. It's the devil. Bikes are extremely capable machines, and can roll out of ALOT of situations, if you RELAX and LET OFF THE DAMN BRAKES!!! Also, set your rebound damping a couple more clicks slower, as to give a more controlled extension. It really makes a world of difference!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Anonymous
    Well, lets start by saying.. chicken... I am a chicken, yes I will admit it.....read on if you will.

My mate George did it,on basically the same machine as me.....

I turned into the 1st corner (tigh S turn) the backend gave way and whack into a tree with my right shoulder, over the bike and onto my dodgy hand again....crap, sheer crap.
    the tree saved my from a 15ft drop onto spikey cut down tree stumps.

Ok so take the micky if you will.... next time!!!!

Steve Peat I am not...lol
  • bungalistic
    Lets see a picture of this drop that keeps beating you :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Lets see a picture of this drop that keeps beating you :wink:

the plan was to do it first, then take pics on the 2nd run..... 1st run for me didn't happen....stupid mind and sore tree...

am off now to chastise myself for not being a good student.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Take pics of your mate, and claim it was you! Lol!

:lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    GmanUK101 wrote:
    .......It's all in the mind aint it?

G

No, dropoffs are very real. Unless, of course, you're in the "Twilight Zone". :wink:
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    were about is this dropp off.

just remember it aint going anywere you can do it next time or the time after, only do it when you feel right..

please please get some pics of it up or better a vid.

please please share it with us...

and good luck you will do it eventually just dont rush into it cause someone else can do it...